jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

What do you grow in your yard?

1. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image81
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 5 years ago

What do you grow in your yard?

Do you grow vegetables in your yards? Which ones?

2. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 5 years ago

Yes we do, in our backyard we grow, grapes, oranges, peaches, guava, cucumbers, tomatoes and beans. We never purposely grew guava; we believe the birds seeded it for us; and it has indeed thrived.

Pavlo Badovskyyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like that all your plants are in "plural form" :-) It tells me that you have lots of them. Good for you!

2. connorj profile image75
      connorjposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I should have mentioned that our front yard is a National Wildlife Foundation (NWF) recognized Urban Wildlife Habitat...

3. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 5 years ago

We grow several varieties of tomato, pepper, melon, and cucumber.

This is much closer to my yard so far. I do not have too much space , alas.  Thank you for answering!

4. tmbridgeland profile image82
    tmbridgelandposted 5 years ago

Plum, peach, apple mulberry, grape, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry.
    Corn, potato, lettuce, tomato, rocket, pumpkin, squash, parsley, onions, shallots, radishes, ginger. Maybe more but tired of thinking.

To make order with all that you probably need lots of help. Dont you?

5. mvillecat profile image79
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

Our yard is a certified backyard wildlife habitat, so we grow for animals and humans. Our front yard is for the animals with nectar plants, host plants, water and nesting boxes. Our backyard is for growing food for us. We have grown lettuce, radishes, tomatoes of different varieties, squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, chives, and peppers. I am a wanne be homesteader, so we are trying to grow a large amount of food.

I did not know that a yard can be "a certified backyard wildlife habitat". How big is it?

6. JesadaB profile image76
    JesadaBposted 5 years ago

We have flower gardens in the front of the house and in the back we have two areas designated to grow food items. we have oregano, dill, sage, lettuce, tomatoes (cherry and romas) pumpkins (that are taking over everywhere) and in the back space we have potatoes, green beans, squash, carrots, peas and sunflowers...next year it will be bigger and more planned out seeing as this is our first year here.

7. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Dear friend,
    what you can grow in your garden depends on the soil and the altitude. Where I live now, Western Peloponese, we can grow anything in appropirate soil. In my yard I have a lemon and a fig tree and rose bushes. In my village which is high up in the mountains we can grow anything from potatoes to garlic. But citrus trees and sensitive plants can't prosper due to the altitude (too cold)

8. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

Tomatoes, peppers, corn, squash, cukes, strawberries, pecans, cabbage, broccoli, onions, and herbs for cooking.

working