jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

DIY, is it a better option to build your house?

1. profile image55
    buildyourhousesposted 5 years ago

DIY, is it a better option to build your house?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7564602_f260.jpg

2. Don Fairchild profile image78
    Don Fairchildposted 5 years ago

Wow, this question has numerous "what if's" connected with it.
    If you are young and have many 10's of thousands of dollars in cash flow with a bank willing to do a construction loan, and you have a skill set that would help you to build a home, then YES by all means you should try to build a home for yourself.  Anything less than this would be a one way trip to the bankruptcy court.

1. profile image55
      buildyourhousesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your ans, I have seen many optimistic people trying building their dream houses. However I agree with your what if scenarios but what would be your opinion if some one approach the works with the right techniques, tools, money and skills?

2. Don Fairchild profile image78
      Don Fairchildposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Prefab construction is easier than DIY. Some vendors will do most of the work to get a prefab home placed on your property.  Most are single and double wide prefab homes.

3. profile image55

Yeah, prefab can minimise the burden of the owner by reducing number of direct traders but the precision of the design and implementation is more vital for the successful delivery.

3. rclinton5280 profile image76
    rclinton5280posted 5 years ago

"Building your own home" can be done in more than one way. There is more than one type of dwelling, and more than one way to build each. In other words, there's a right way and a wrong way. If you are suggesting doing all of the labor to build a conventional residential home by yourself, I think that the odds are against you. There are too many different aspects to handle for one person to do it alone. If you sub out the foundation and any other areas that require precision and expensive equipment that you don't own, your odds increase a lot if you know the trades you intend to do yourself well enough to do it right. If the person in question does not have an in depth understanding of at least a few of the trades involved and construction in general, then attempting to build your own home would be a terrible idea.

1. profile image55

Hi rclinton5280, I agree with you, in my opinion, anyone one can do build their houses as long as they are willing to learn and determined to get their hands dirty.

working