jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I love contemporary decor but on a budget and also I don't have the slightest id

1. tdebrick profile image59
    tdebrickposted 4 years ago

I love contemporary decor but on a budget and also I don't have the slightest idea where to start!

2. GALAXY 59 profile image88
    GALAXY 59posted 4 years ago

Hi there, I don't know if I am allowed to link to one of my hubs here - but I do think this one might be of some help to you.http://galaxy59.hubpages.com/hub/How-do-I-decorate-my-home-cheaply
    I know how hard it can be to get your home looking nice when money is in short supply, I have had years of trying! I hope that my hub will be of some help to you.

3. purl3agony profile image99
    purl3agonyposted 4 years ago

I would suggest you look through decorating magazines or a website like Pinterest to identify the exact look you want and items you need to create that style.  Then you can shop for less expensive versions of these items at stores/websites like Target, IKEA, Overstock.com or Wayfair.com.  All of these retailers have furniture and decor items that feature the clean lines of contemporary style.  Then you might be able to spend more money on one or two items that really pull the room together and allow you to put your personal stamp on your space.  Good luck with your decorating!  And have fun shopping smile

4. EABarnes profile image68
    EABarnesposted 4 years ago

Contemporary decor on a budget is fun and easy. First, look at what you currently have to easily update. Do you have a solid color sofa? Add affordable throw pillows in modern designs from a department store such as Burlington Coat Factory or Walmart--or inexpensive fabric from a fabric store and re-cover accent pillows you already have. Another way to quickly update a home decor is with inexpensive poster art in inexpensive frames from Micheals.com or other craft store. Try Anna's Linens or a Dollar Store for modern accent rugs and fresh window treatments. Try Target for great looking table lamps. Decorating on a budget is a fun process and the key to success is imagination!

5. asgoodasgold profile image61
    asgoodasgoldposted 4 years ago

A good place to start your search for decor is second hand stores. You should have a theme in mind, before you purchase anything. Ask yourself, "What do I personally like?  What colors do I want to surround me?  Art is a personal taste thing, personal style. Your style, color and taste can change from room to room and over time. What room do you want to start with first? What colors do you already have in that room?  How much change in color can I afford?  Built your style around that.  For example, in the kitchen, one has many different choices of styles or themes. If you love eggs, go with that as a base for your decor choice. Anything egg, pictures, baskets full with fake eggs, chickens, barn doors, nests of straw, etc.

6. lupine profile image74
    lupineposted 4 years ago

You may want to start by creating a budget for your new décor. This can be done by selling some of the furniture and décor you have, that you will not use in your new contemporary décor. It can be sold to friends, family, garage/yard sale, online, or by taking out a small ad in your local newspaper...usually free ad if you sell under $100 or $500, this is done in my area. For ideas, go to local stores, see what you like. Discount stores have similar furnishings as more expensive stores, so shop around. Second hand stores have good things sometimes, you just have to look. You can also watch shows that help with home décor, on tv or online. Since you're on a budget, get the basics, add more items later. Only buy what you really like.

working