jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

I saw a Starfruit brand ceramic frying pan yesterday that said it was non stick.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

I saw a Starfruit brand ceramic frying pan yesterday that said it was non stick. Anyone own one?

Is this a good pan to purchase?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

That was StarFrit not StarFruit smile Sorry for the typo.....

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

No personal experience, but I had occasion to ask some cooking friends about it. They told me this:

Starfrit is made in China. IOW, you can't know what's in it.
    The ceramic lining is not very durable. Even with careful use you can expect chipping.
    The thickness of the aluminum pans is entry-level, not serious cooks' weight, so it's not good for such heat-intensive jobs as searing.
    Six months of use sees a reduction in nonstickiness of a quarter to a third, quite noticeable. You have to use fat with it.
    The handles are attached with screws rather than rivets, so they become loose with repeated thermal expansion and contraction.
    One general comment that makes sense but that I hadn't considered sufficiently: Teflon linings are a health risk despite industry claims to the contrary; ceramic linings may or may not be, there is not enough evidence to say, and the manufacturers consider their processes trade secrets so we can't find out how they're done or what is included in them. That is to say we're rolling the dice to think of them as better.

After listening to all that, I decided to stick with my old cast iron. Well seasoned, it's as nonstick as pans get anyway.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
      Just Ask Susanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the info!

4. always exploring profile image84
    always exploringposted 4 years ago

I just purchased one and i love it. You can fry anything without oil, and it wipes clean with one swipe. You will love it....

working