jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is this craftsman tool called?

1. TurtleDog70 profile image82
    TurtleDog70posted 3 years ago

What is this craftsman tool called?

Found this and wondering what it is

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12188679_f260.jpg

2. profile image56
    Ian Mooneposted 3 years ago

I haven't got a clue buddy, so am going to say it's a f**knose!lol..However I am intrigued, & I reckon it looks like it sits on a scaffold pole..Maybe it's a way of levelling scaffold by standing a spirit level on top, or maybe some sort of surveying tool that sits on a scaffold or pole. :-)

3. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 3 years ago

I don't think it is a tool in itself. It looks like a part from a vintage planer- maybe 1940-1950's. I'm no expert.

4. Phil Dapple profile image30
    Phil Dappleposted 3 years ago

What you have there is a fence that looks to be from an older shaper. The two bolts on the top are what locks it into the table of the shaper and when you loosen them you can adjust the fence back and forth. The two turning knobs on the rear are for fine adjustments of the front fence (each part where the wood is) which adjusts it for fine tuning when the fence is locked down. The two little adjustments on either end (the small knobs) should set a fine angle on each wooden fence piece so that the stock will fall off the first fence and land perfectly on the second fence with no chatter or jumping. Or, they final lock the depth adjustment. The pins that come out the top are for hold down rollers that are attached to the rods. They are secured and the rollers and pressure hold the stock down to the table while passing it through the knives. I would bet it is a fence from an older wood shaper but it could be from a heavy duty table router or even a spindle sander, But i think it's from a wood shaper. Hope that helps. It would work great if you were going to make a home made router table.

1. TurtleDog70 profile image82
      TurtleDog70posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks everyone for the great answers.... Phil... yours hit the nail on the head. Perfect answer!

working