jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Something is eating my rose shrubs

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 21 months ago

Something is eating my rose shrubs

I have a few rose shrubs and the leaves all have holes and brown spots. What do I need to do to get my roses healthy again?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13021967_f260.jpg

2. eugbug profile image99
    eugbugposted 21 months ago

Could be sawfly larvae (rose slugs) or earwigs, or maybe even small snails doing the damage. Usually these pests like to do their munching after dark when it's cool and damp. Have a look with a torch when the sun goes down, and see what's attacking the leaves. You can then maybe pick off any caterpillars and dispose of them humanely or inhumanely! I reckon the problem is likely caused by earwigs though, because caterpillars would probably eat more substantial chunks, rather than holes. Earwigs, like slugs, hide in crevices and under stones and pots, so it would probably be difficult to eradicate them completely without resorting to insecticide. I remember reading about how traps can be made for them from, hollow tubes or canes. I have an old Victorian gardening book, so must check that out. On the bright side, Apart from the leaf damage, the foliage of the roses looks good! No evidence of blackspot or yellowing. Watch out for aphids though which can cause serious damage to bushes.

Paul Edmondsonposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Is there an insecticide that's effective but not harmful to people that's recommended?

eugbugposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I've never tried killing earwigs and apparently (doing a quick Google search), pest control companies advise that unless hiding places are eliminated and shading from trees, bushes and climbers is reduced, insecticide is not very effective.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 21 months ago

I agree w/ Eugene that it looks like sawfly larvae (rose slugs.) The earlier you treat the plant, the better the results. The safest (natural) controls would be insecticidal soap or spinosad like Bonide's Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew. Both are fine for organic gardening:)

Paul Edmondsonposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Thanks. I'll see if I can get the insecticide this week.

eugbugposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Earwigs can be treated with deltamethrin (generic name for the insecticide). Alternatively you can place upturned flower pots filled with hay or straw on canes near your roses. (Dry long grass would probably be a good substitute).

working