ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to get an Oklahoma Real Estate License

Updated on April 11, 2012

Licensed real estate agents enjoy the freedom, flexibility, financial success and fun that only a self-employed individual can achieve. As an agent, you are an independent contractor in control of your time and your life. Your earning depend on your creativity, marketing and how hard you are able to work. There are no limits to your income potential if you are willing to put in the time and effort to make success happen.

The first step to achieving that success in Oklahoma is to obtain your real estate license. Real estate sales in the state are generally aided by a professional real estate agent or broker, with a few exceptions. The Oklahoma Real Estate Licensing Code requires that any individual acting as a real estate licensee to have a real estate license. The process to obtain a license is relatively easy but requires investments of time, study and a little money to be successful.

In Oklahoma, the first step in a real estate career begins when you become a Provisional Sales Associate. According to the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission, "in order to apply for a PSA license, a person must be of good moral character, 18 years of age or older, and submit evidence to the Commission of successful completion of Part I of ninety (90) clock hours of basic real estate instruction in a course that is approved by the Commission." There are 4 main steps along the way to a PSA license.


Background Check

Every individual who wants to become a licensed real estate agent must complete a background check. To do so you will submit Part A of the Real Estate Licensing Form, along with a fingerprint card and a fee of $41 to Oklahoma Real Estate Commission in Oklahoma City. The commission will forward the finger print card to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, who in turn sends the card to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The entire process can take time so you will want to complete this part of the licensing early.

Complete an Educational Course

The state requires that each potential licensee complete a 90 hour real estate course approved by the real estate commission. The courses can be administered in a class-room setting or online. You will cover a wide range of topics ranging from the nature of and rights associated with real estate, law and regulations governing the industry, brokers and agents roles in a sales transaction and contacts, to name a few. The course will also cover laws and regulations from other states so you will be familiar with practices in other areas of the country.

Many brokers have real estate licensing courses available or can recommended a school or online provider. You can also search for "Oklahoma real estate licensing courses" online. Schools vary in price but you can expect to pay $300 or more for the course.

Pre-Licensing Course Final Test

Before you are permitted to take the Oklahoma state licensing test, you must first pass the course test. The test consists questions drawn from the topics covered during the 90 hour course. You must score 80% or high on the course exam to be eligible for the state examination. Once you pass the course examination, the instructor will acknowledge your success on Part B of the real estate licensing form by signing it.

Have the form notarized and submit it along with proof of citizenship and an affidavit verifying lawful presence in the United States, which also must be notarized, and the $75 license fee, to the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission for approval and permission to take the state examination.

The Oklahoma Provisional Sales Associate Examination

The Oklahoma Real Estate Commission will notify you by email or USPS of your approval to take the state examination. You will receive a candidate ID number and the exam number. The test is administered by PSI Exams and you can schedule a time either by registering online at or calling 1-800-733-9267. There's a $60 fee for the test and you will need to use either a Visa or Mastercard.

The Oklahoma State Real Estate exam is done on a computer, although you can opt to take it the old fashion way with paper and a pencil for an additional $20. The keyboard is modified so that only a few of the keys actually work and each has a specific function within the test. You are able to answer a question, skip a question and in either case, mark it for later review. At the end of the test, the computer system allows you to review all questions, the marked questions only or a specific question based on its number. Whenare finished you are asked multiple time is you wish to complete the exam which helps to prevent accidentally logging off before you are done. The system has a quick tutorial you can view before the test to acquaint yourself with the system. You are allow to bring a basic calculator into the testing room along with a pencil and sheet of paper which are provided for you. No other items are allowed in the testing room, including cell phones.

The Oklahoma Salesperson test consist of 130 questions, and you need to correctly answer 75% to pass. The first 60 questions are state specific and will address the law and rules affecting Oklahoma Real Estate practice, brokerage relationships, property management and landlord / tenant laws and disclosures and hazards. The remaining 70 questions deal with general items including ownership, land use and controls, valuation, financing , Laws of Agency and contracts, among other topics. You have three hours to complete the test.

At the end of the test, the system will inform you if you've passed or failed the examination. If you pass, the proctor will provided you with a certificate to that effect and the results are automatically forward to the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission. If you did not pass the system allows you to see the questions that you missed. You can schedule to retake the test at any of the available times but need to pay the $60 examination fee again.

Your Provisional Sale Associate License

The real estate commission will notify you by email or USPS that your license has been approved. The real estate commission will forward your license to the broker you will be working with. If you haven't affiliated with a broker you will need to do so before you can receive your license. You also have the option to proceed with an inactive license and should inform the commission of your choice.

Obtaining a Provisional Sales Associate license is the start of a rewarding career in real estate. There are no limits to your income potential if you are willing to put in the time and effort to make success happen!

For more information on obtaining an Oklahoma Provisional Associate's license visit the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission website

Was this article helpful

See results


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)