Practical tips on how to improve the look of your living room on a budget
Traditional living room
Are you happy with the current look of your living room?
A refurbished living room can surely help brighten up the day of its occupants as the fresh ambiance can make them feel more relaxed and invigorated. Thus, apart from the dining/kitchen and the bedroom areas, it seems that people would usually prefer to stay most of the time in the living room of their abode.
The living room is also an important part of the house since it is where we normally entertain our friends and occasional guests. Sometimes, It can provide their best or worst impression about us. Thus, an occasional improvement on the look of our living room (and any other of the house) is a must and should be included in our "to do" list for the year.
How much should I spend?
The big question is – do we have the budget to implement our plan? Anyway, would a big budget really be that necessary? I guess not and, in fact, doing it on a shoestring can be a challenge which can be turned into an enjoyable adventure as well. Let the tips below stir up your creativity to produce more fresh ideas on the topic of home or room improvement. These reminders are simple, practical and are doable which can be carried out anytime, anyplace and anywhere.
Top seven easy home improvement tips
1. First, we have to clean up - not just a wishy washy type of cleaning, but, we mean here, a thorough and total cleaning of the entire place, every nook and corner - from the carpet to the walls, up to the ceiling. There is no substitute to a fresh smell of a newly cleaned room.
2. Create more space by removing all the clutter, all the unnecessary and washed out decorations. Unless these items rekindle some happy memories for you, don’t hesitate to give, sell or throw them away. If these decorations bring back painful memories, the more you should be discarding them right away.
3. Repaint the room (only if you want to). You might save on cost if you do the repainting yourself. However, if your time should be rather spent somewhere else, and you have the money, outsourcing the job to a qualified painter is the best option.
4. Rearrange your furnishings and redecorate. If your budget would allow, put up new curtains and buy a new sofa, or, at least, change the upholstery. Choose colors that will liven up the living room. On the other hand, old curtains and furniture can still be used provided they are washed down, vacuumed and cleansed thoroughly.
Change your lights to the latest and most
efficient and energy-saving light bulbs. Proper lighting can greatly enhance the ambiance of the room.
6. If you are the type of a person who appreciates and has some practical understanding of feng-shui, you can use it as a guide to enhance the good energy vibration of your place. It is not only the look but the feel of the room that should also be taken into consideration. It is true that to engage the services of a feng-shui expert is expensive, yet, you can practice less expensive forms of feng shui by hanging special (but cheap) mirrors, forks, or woks in doorways to deflect negative energy.
7. Sustain your interest and enthusiasm. You can read more about home improvement topics and do a lot of your own networking on this project. Brainstorm with your friends to get more and better ideas. Make it into an exciting team project either with your family members and / or friends. Connect with people who can help you do the above preferably for free or at least cost. You will be in a better position if you can find friends who are knowledgeable about interior designs and who can suggest reliable suppliers of needed items and services; but more importantly, be alert for people who'd be willing to share their ideas, time, expertise and / or relevant experiences with you.
Let's do it
These tips are not exhaustive. But, I do hope these ideas will be of some help to interested parties. Have a great “clean up” day! Just start it from there and slowly proceed executing your plan while enjoying each specific task one at a time. Sooner or later, a more cozy and enhanced living room will be a reality for you to behold and to take pleasure in.