14 Christian Ways to Beat Stress
Coping with Stress
Stress is unavoidable. Everyday we are exposed to stress. Some as mundane as getting late in an appointment to as profound as getting married.
Stress is a fact of life. It can be an effective stimulant that motivates a person to do more and be more. Or, in some cases, too much stress could cause various ailments to a person.
The trick is to make sure stress does not reach dangerous levels. Moderation is the key. Even Jesus recognized this fact when he took time off from his tasks and spend time alone to pray.
As Christians, there are a number of resources available to us to help us cope or minimize stress to a manageable level. Below are some of the ways:
1. Talk to God. God is available for you 24/7. You don’t need to spend money to be able to talk to HIM. Make use of this valuable opportunity. God cares for you deeply and He wants to hear what you got to say. From everyday cares to really serious problems, He is willing to listen. HE will never let you down.
2. Sleep at least 6 hours a day. For those in their teens, 8 hours would be better. This will give time for your body to replenish energy and recover from stress.
3. Know your working limits. Sometimes we accept way too much work, more than we can handle. Learn to say ‘No’ to additional workloads. Before doing multi-tasking it is important to know your limits and don’t go beyond it.
4. Live within your means. Needless to say, spending beyond your budget is stressful. So avoid it at all means. Refrain from using credit cards if possible.
5. Eat right. Don’t overeat. Don’t eat junk foods all the time. Choose food wisely. Make sure that what you eat contains the essentials: carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins. A healthy body is the best way to combat stress.
6. Exercise. Exercise is a sure-fire way to stay healthy and beat stress. Do it 10 minutes everyday when you wake up. If you can’t, then find time to walk everyday. Park your car some distance from the office so you will be forced to walk. Take the stairs not the elevator. Take your time roaming around when buying groceries.
7. Make a schedule. Write down what needs to be done. Then allot time to accomplish them. This way you know exactly where to go and what to do next. You don’t want to go to the bank and when you get home realize that you should have passed by the grocery store. Plotting your daily schedule will save you time, money and energy.
8. Take some time off. It’s not always work and work. All work and no play makes one dull, so goes the adage. If you work hard, keep the balance in your life by finding time to play or have fun. Go out with friends. Dine out with your significant other. Have amassage. Take your mind off from work and have fun!
9. Utilize the mind. The state mind affects the body. Employing the mind for relaxation techniques is another way to beat stress. Imagination is an effective way to counter stress. Clinical studies have shown that using your imagination to picture peaceful sceneries is a good stress-reliever. Take a break from work. Go to some place where you can be alone for a few minutes. Close your eyes and imagine the most peaceful scenery you can think of. Meditation and self-hypnosis are also effective ways to utilize the mind to counter stress.
10. Read the Bible. I have a friend who reads the Bible every night before going to sleep. And she wakes up feeling refreshed every morning. No worries. No stress. Just a light, joyful feeling that stays with her throughout the day. Ask God for wisdom tounderstand His Words. Reading the bible could do wonders to your nerves.
11. Have a joyful heart. Smile at people. Find humor in littlest things. Don’t fret when something goes wrong. Laugh at it instead. Don’t allow petty things to upset you. ‘A joyful heart is the best medicine’.
12. Forgive. Hating people will not do us any good. Hating doesn’t hurt the one you hate. As a matter of fact, the person may not even be aware that you hate him/her. It hurts you more because you will be under huge stress carrying it’s burden in your heart. Resentment blocks God’s blessings. Forgiveness will release the hatred and resentments. It will also make you happier and closer to God.
13. Reach out to people. Be friendly and sociable. Talk to people when queuing up in grocery stores or bank. Smile at people at work. Give to charitable institutions. Support worthwhile goals likeenvironment protection. The more love you give, the more will come back to you.
14. Pray ceaselessly. I make it a habit to pray to God every possible moment I can find. One time I was really sick and had a hard time sleeping. My fiance told me that to calm my mind I need to get a piece of paper and a pen. Then, he told me to pray to God that He will guide my mind and reveal to me the words that will enable me to sleep. So I did just that. And voila! The words ‘Jesus please heal me’ keeps running in my head. So I wrote that down and repeated it numerous times in a day. I had a speedy recovery after that. Until now, I still pray ceaselessly by repeating words that God revealed to me thru prayers. It doeswonders to my health. Try it!