Molten Chocolate Cakes Recipe
These individual cakes are out of this world. I like to make them when we have company over because they are easy to prepare, and everyone gets their own individual cake. They are fun to eat because the filling is warm and gooey. It gushes out when you cut the cake open, making it a favorite with children. Make sure you have all of your ingredients ahead of time and you will be ready to bake.
These little cakes taste great served with coffee, flavored if you prefer. Because they are rich and chocolaty, they also go great with a cold glass of milk. Chances are that you will be asked for the recipe, but you can choose whether or not to share it with anyone—you could make it your specialty if you want.
1 ¼ cups butter (2 ½ sticks)
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips (dark chocolate would be good too)
4 medium eggs
½ cup sugar (I use organic, raw sugar)
¾ cup flour
12 caramel candies
¼ cup evaporated milk, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease 12 muffin cups.
2. Combine the butter and chocolate chips together in a double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is melted. Let stand to cool. You can also melt the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave. Use the defrost setting, stirring the mixture occasionally, for about 4 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs and sugar, and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed. This mixture should thicken in about five minutes.
4. Gradually add the flour, beating at a low speed. Add the chocolate, and beat until thick and glossy, about 3 minutes.
5. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake the cakes for 5 minutes.
6. In the meantime, combine the caramels and 2 tbs. of the evaporated milk in a double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly, until the caramels are melted. Spoon 2 teaspoonfuls of the caramel mixture into teach muffin cup.
7. Bake the cakes for another 8 minutes.
8. Invert the cakes onto individual serving plates.
9. Stir the remaining evaporated milk into the remaining caramel mixture. Serve this sauce with the warm cakes.