ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

North Carolina Coastal Fishing - New License Required

Updated on October 21, 2007
Kure Beach Fishing Pier
Kure Beach Fishing Pier

North Carolina Coastal Recreational Fishing License

Beginning on January 1, 2007, any person 16 years of age or older who wants to fish recreationally in North Carolina's coastal waters must purchase a Coastal Recreational Fishing License (CRFL). The N.C. General Assembly passed legislation in 2004 to require a saltwater license, and Governor Mike Easley signed it into law in 2005.

Anyone who purchased a Wildlife Resources Commission lifetime license that includes basic inland fishing privileges before Jan. 1, 2006 was grandfathered by this change in the law. These people are not required to purchase a separate license in order to fish in coastal waters. The lifetime licenses include any infant, youth, adult, over 70, and disabled sportsman's license; the comprehensive fishing, over 70 fishing only, disabled veteran's and totally disabled licenses.

Anglers who had a hook and line license for the legally blind and adult care home fishing license were grandfathered until Jan. 1, 2007. Both of these licenses issued after that date included coastal recreational fishing privileges. Anyone purchasing a Wildlife Resources Commission lifetime license of any type on or after Jan. 1, 2006 was not grandfathered and is required to purchase a CRFL, when fishing in coastal waters.

CRFL Basic Facts

1. A CRFL is required for recreational fishing in coastal waters managed by the Division of Marine Fisheries.

2. A CRFL is not required for people living in coastal counties who have private ponds on their property.

3. People who receive Food Stamps, Medicaid or Work First Family Assistance may receive a subsistence waiver through their county Department of Social Services. This annual waiver allows the holder to fish recreationally with hook-and-line in inland waters (with the exception of Public Mountain Trout Waters), joint and coastal waters.

4. A CRFL must be obtained by any per­son 16 years or older who wants to fish recre­ationally in any water designated as coastal and joint waters of North Carolina. The exceptions are:

  • An individual who holds a resident/non­resident lifetime infant, youth, adult, over 70, disabled sportsman, lifetime comprehensive fishing license, hunting/fishing basic disabled veteran or hunting/fishing basic total disabled license issued by the Wildlife Resources Commission before Jan. 1, 2006.
  • An individual who holds a lifetime legally blind or adult care home license, regardless of when it was issued.

5. There are several types of individual CRFLs available to accommo­date a variety of needs and situations. They include short-term licenses; annual licenses; lifetime licenses, which are valid for the life­time of the holder; and unified licenses, which include hunting/statewide fishing privileges.

6. The most common CRFLs are:

  • Annual Resident ($15)
  • Annual Non-Resident ($30)
  • 10-day Resident ($5)
  • 10-day Non-Resident ($10)
  • Annual Inland/CRFL ($35)
  • Annual Unified ($55)
  • Various Lifetime (fees vary)
  • Various Lifetime Unified (fees vary)

7. To purchase a CRFL:

  • Visit a Wildlife Resources Commission Wildlife Service Agent. Many are located in bait-and-tackle shops, hunting and sporting good stores and larger chain stores.
  • Call toll-free 1-888-248-6834. Normal hours of operation are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday.
  • Visit one of 6 Division of Marine Fish­eries offices located on the coast. Loca­tions can be obtained on the Division of Marine Fisheries Web site,

8. Two types of blanket CRFLs are avail­able only through Division of Marine Fisher­ies offices:

  • For-Hire Blanket - a person who oper­ates a "for-hire boat" (such as a charter boat) may purchase a CRFL that allows all individuals on the for-hire boat who do not hold a CRFL to fish in coastal fishing waters that are not joint fishing waters. This license does not authorize individuals to fish recreationally in inland or joint fishing waters.
  • Ocean Fishing Pier Blanket - a person who operates or owns an ocean fishing pier and who charges a fee to allow a person to fish recreationally from the pier may pur­chase an Ocean Fishing Pier Blanket CRFL. This license allows all individuals who do not hold an individual CRFL to engage in recreational fishing in coastal waters while on the pier.

9. A CRFL is not required to harvest crabs, mussels, clams, lobsters, shrimp and other shellfish.

10. Anglers using gigs and cast­nets to harvest finfish recreationally are also required to have a license.

11. A CRFL is needed to fish from a privately owned pier. Nonresident members of the armed forces currently stationed in North Carolina, including their spouses and children under 18 will be considered residents of North Carolina for the purposes of purchasing and using a Coastal Recreational Fishing or Unified License.

12. Seafood harvested under the license is for personal consumption only and cannot be sold commercially.

13. Anglers who have lost their license may apply for another license to be reissued for a $5 fee.

Click here for more info on North Carolina Coastal Fishing Piers.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)