How do Christians Respond to Change in America and the World
Barack Obama Platform Slogan - Change we can believe in.
Barack Obama wants to change America and the World
On Saturday April 19, 2008 Barack Obama was wrapping up his appearance at the Pennsylvania Capitol in Harrisburg, and this is what he said, "We will change this country. We will change the world,"
What changes will Barack Obama make for America and the world?
Changes in Religious Life
"Whatever we once were, we're no longer a Christian nation. At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers," Barack Obama said duringa June 2007 speech.
Barack Obama recognizes the fact that America was once a Christian nation and now it is no longer one. America has already changed from a Christian nation to a multi-religion or a nation without religion.
Change in Christian Faith
Barack Obama on Salvation, "I'm rooted in the Christian tradition, . . . .I believe there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people."
Barack Obama believes there are many ways to be saved and get to heaven and Christianity is only one of the ways. This is not what true Christians believe.
The Lord Jesus Christ is the Only Savior
The Lord Jesus Christ said,‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (Jn; 14:6)
"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)
Jesus Christ never changes
God has declared, "For I am the LORD, I do not change." (Mal. 3:6)
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."(Heb. 13:8)
Change in Belief when Life begins
At the Saddleback Forum Pastor Rick Warren asked Barack Obama, ‘At what point does a baby get human rights, in your view?" He dodged the question and said, ‘Well, you know, I think that whether you're looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity, you know, is above my pay grade."
Barack Obama takes the Pro-Choice position in which the pregnant mother makes the decision on whether or not to abort the baby. This is the reason why he purposely did not want to answer that specific question on when the baby's life begins.
The Word of God tells us that a Baby's Life begins at Conception
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; and I ordained you a prophet to the nations."(Jer. 1:5)
"For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother‘s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them."(Psm. 139:13-16)
Change in Family Moral Values
Barack Obama opposes a Federal Law to ban same-sex marriage. He believes that gays and lesbians can live together and be called civil unions or domestic partnerships. They have the same rights as straight people to adopt children.
Homosexuality is Abomination to God
"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Lev. 20:13)
Christians in America are engaged in Spiritual Warfare
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." (Eph. 6:12-13)
How do Christians Respond to the Changes?
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Rom. 12:2)
Obey the Country's Laws
"Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves." (Rom. 13:1-2)
Pray for the Government
"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence." (1 Tim. 2:1-2)
Change Laws through the Polls
- In 2000 California voters passed with 61% of the vote, to formally define marriage in California as a union between a man and a woman.
- In 2005 the California state legislature passed the Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Act which would have recognized same-sex marriage in California.
- On May 15, 2008 the California Supreme Court, by a vote of 4-3, ruled individuals of the same sex have the right to marry under the California Constitution.
- November 4, 2008 with 100% ballots counted, Proposition 8 to ban same-sex marriage in California had passed with 52% to 48%.
Texas Voters Approve Ban on Gay Marriage
- Texas voters on Tuesday November 4, 2008 overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, making their state the 19th to take that step.
- The contest in Texas was decided quickly - the ban was receiving 75 percent of the votes in early returns.
- Texas did not permit same-sex marriages previously, but the constitutional amendment was touted as an extra guard against future court rulings.
Texas is One State under God. It is called "God's Country"
- The Bill of Rights of the Texas Constitution (Article I, Section 4) allows people to be excluded from holding office in government on religious grounds. An official may be "excluded from holding office in government" if she/he does not "acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."
- This would specifically exclude all Atheists and Agnostics from holding public office. It would also exclude:
- Most Buddhists, who do not believe in a personal deity.
- Members of the Church of Satan; they are typically Agnostics.
- Most Unitarian Universalists.
- Some followers of the New Age who do not believe in the existence of a personal deity.
Texas is a Christian State
- According to Churches and Church Membership in the United States 2000, Texas ranks:
- First in number of Evangelical Protestants, with 5,083,087.
- Second, behind Pennsylvania, in number of Mainline Protestants at 1,705,394
- Third in number of Catholics, behind California and New York.
- Lakewood Church is a non-denominational Christian megachurch located in Houston, Texas, United States. As of 2007, it is the largest megachurch in the United States with more than 40,000 weekly attendees during its English and Spanish language services.