Top Ten Tips On How To Save Money Everyday
1. Cancel magazine and newspaper subscriptions and/or deliveries. Most news and gossip can be found online as can recipes and household hints. Even crosswords and sudoku, horoscopes and agony aunts are on the Internet.
2. Walk instead of using the car or bus for short journeys. The exercise will be of benefit to you and for longer journeys the bus is now becoming cheaper than driving.
3. Write a shopping list every time you head for the grocery store. This helps avoid impulse buys. I also find that if I walk to the store it limits the weight I can carry and so the money I spend making me prioritise what I buy.
4. Get the washing outdoors on the line. Dryers are expensive to run.
5. Take a shower instead of a bath. Less water means less cost. This is especially important for people on water meters.
6. Use email first before considering a phone call or text message. It may be a quick release of anger to rant down the phone at the call centre staff but that rant is costing YOU money. Think about using snail mail too.
7. Cook cheap, delicious meals instead of going to the takeaway. Simple food like chili-con-carne, pizza and Chinese food are simple, fun and low cost to make at home and healthier.
8. Turn of the lights when you leave a room and close doors to conserve heat.
9. Re-use the blank side of old letters and envelopes to use for phone messages and shopping lists. Much cheaper than those fancy message pads.
10. Switch from coffee to tea. Tea is usually cheaper (my mum makes a pot of tea for two using one tea bag.) You could even leave out the sugar from hot drinks, it doesn't take long to get used to the taste and its much better for your teeth and waistline too.