- Personal Finance»
How to Save Money On Car Insurance
Why You Need Car Insurance
Major expenses in owning a car, in addition to car payments, maintenance and upkeep are the costs of car insurance. In tough economic times, you may be tempted to forego purchasing car insurance or neglect to renew the car insurance you have to save money. Think twice before doing so. Forgoing car insurance for whatever reason will be a big mistake.
Many states have a requirement for drivers to have car insurance. If you are caught driving without car insurance, you face getting a traffic ticket. In addition to the traffic ticket, you may have to go to court as well as file an SR-22. An SR-22 is completed by the insurance company and submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles on your behalf for a period of at least three years. Depending on if you were stopped for a traffic violation, there could be other costs, such as traffic fines.
When you get behind the wheel of a car, you never know what may happen. You could make a quick trip to the grocery store, park your car and come back to see it damaged. Or even worse, you could be involved in an accident and get injured which could result in high medical bills in addition to other expenses. You could also be sued by the other driver for medical expenses, depending on the circumstances.
Do not risk driving without car insurance. More people are driving daily which increases your chance of being involved in a car accident. When you buy car insurance, you are buying peace of mind knowing that if an accident happens, you will be covered.
How to Shop for Low-Priced Car Insurance
Do not stay with the same car insurance company out of habit to avoid the hassle of changing companies or because you have a sense of loyalty to the insurance company. Before you renew your car insurance policy, compare costs with other companies. If after comparison shopping, your current insurance company proves to be the best, then by all means stay with them. If not, then make the switch to a different car insurance company which offers you the best deal.
How to Choose a Car Insurance Company
Since there are many car insurance companies competing for your business, it may be difficult to choose one that is right for you. Remember -- you are not simply buying car insurance -- you are paying for your customer satisfaction as well. You want to be sure when filing a claim, the insurance company does not give you the runaround, the claim takes a long time to process or some other unsatisfactory conditions are present.
One of the recommended ways to choose a car insurance company is to use referrals from people you know and trust. If they are satisfied with their insurance company, they will be happy to let you know the name of their car insurance company. On the other hand, if they are not satisfied with their car insurance company, many people will let you know that also. Other ways include internet search comparisons; however, be sure you are getting honest quotes that will not be raised when the insurance costs are finalized.
Do not be influenced by television commercials, including those that claim you can use 15 minutes to save 15% on your car insurance. This is a catchy slogan, but is it really true? The money you save in premiums, may be overshadowed by the trouble of getting your claim paid as well as the possibility of having your car insurance canceled or costs raised after you file your first claim.
Car insurance Do's
- Ask the car insurance company if there are any specials, promotions, etc.
- Explore increasing your deductible, if doing so will result in paying less for car insurance premiums.
- Drive safely, and avoid getting traffic tickets. A safe driving record results in lower car insurance costs.
- Bundle your insurance coverage if you can. For example purchase your home owner's insurance, as well as your car insurance together to get lower insurance premiums.
- List the safety features on your car that will earn discounts, such as a car alarm etc. Also remember to ask for the multi-car discount, if you are insuring more than one vehicle.
- Drop full coverage and purchase only liability insurance if your car is an older model. Liability insurance would cover you if you are involved in an accident with another driver, but will not cover repairing your car if you accidentally damaged it yourself.
Car Insurance Dont's
- Do not buy insurance because the company is showing catchy commercials or have special advertising angles. Your goal is to obtain the best car insurance value for your money, regardless of the quality or entertainment value of the commercials.
- Be honest about your driving record. As you may know, it takes just a quick check of your driving record at the Department of Motor Vehicles to get the true story of how you drive. If you drive safe in the first place, you have nothing to worry about. Just remember to look out for other drivers who may not drive as safe as you do when you are on the road.
- Do not buy car insurance from the same insurance company year after year if changing insurance will save you money. In other words, be flexible in your car insurance choices.
Comparison Shop for Car Insurance
Do you comparison shop before purchasing car insurance?
Buy the Right Car Insurance for the Right Price
Buying the right car insurance at the right price is just as important as making your car payments on time and keeping your car maintained.
Purchase your car insurance after doing the necessary research including comparison shopping, and you can be assured that you will make an informed decision and save money when you purchase your car insurance.