- Personal Finance»
How to Choose Car Insurance
Why You Need Car Insurance
One of the major expenses in owning a car, in addition to car payments, maintenance and up keep is car insurance.
In tough economic times, you may be tempted to forego getting car insurance or neglect to renew the car insurance you already have in order to try to save money. Doing so will be a big mistake for several reasons.
First in many states, there is a legal requirement to have car insurance. If you are caught driving without car insurance, you face getting a traffic ticket. With a traffic ticket comes having to go to court and requiring to file what is call an SR-22. An SR-22 is the form used for payment of costs for additional insurance -- on top of what you are already paying for your regular car insurance. In other words, driving without car insurance is be expensive as well as illegal.
Secondly, you never know what might happen once you get behind the wheel of a car. You could make a quick trip to the local store, park your car and come back to see it damaged. Or even worse, you are could be involved in an accident which would bring attention to the fact that you do not have car insurance.
Do not risk driving without car insurance. In today's world, more people are driving, which increases your chance of being involved in a car accident. When you buy car insurance, you are buying peace of mind as well as actual car insurance coverage. And who does not want to have peace of mind?
How to Shop for Car Insurance
Don't stay with the same insurance company out of habit to avoid the hassel of changing car insurance companies -- unless you are completely satisfied with them. Before you renew, take a look at what other insurance companies are offering.
If after comparison shopping your original company proves to be the best, then by all means stay with them. If not, then make the switch to a different car insurance company.
How to Choose a Car Insurance Company
Since there are many car insurance companies to choose from, it may be difficult to choose one that right for you. Remember -- you are not simply buying car insurance, but you are paying for how well you will be treated as a customer when you file a claim. You want to be sure when filing a claim, the insurance company does not give you the runaround.
One of the recommended ways to choose a car insurance company is to use referrals from people you know. If they are satisfied with their insurance company, they will be happy to let you know the name of their car insurance. On the other hand, if they are not satisfied with their car insurance company, many people will let you know that also.
Try not to be influenced by television commercials, including those that claim you can use 15 minutes to save 15% on your car insurance. This is a catchy slogan, but is it really true? What you may save in premiums, may be overshadowed by the hassel in getting your claim paid when claim time comes around, or having your insurance cancelled if you are involved in an accident.
Car insurance Do's
- Ask if the company has any specials, or promotions.
- Explore increasing your deductible, if a higher deductible will result in paying less for car insurance premiums.
- Drive safely, and avoid getting traffic tickets. A safe driving record results in lower car insurance premiums.
- Bundle your insurance coverages if you. For example having your home owner's insurance, as well as your car insurance together result in lower insurance premiums.
- List the safety features on your car that will earn you discounts, such as a car alarm etc. Also rememember to ask for the multi-car discount, if you are insuring more than one vehicle.
- Drop full coverage and purchase only liability insurance if your car is an older model. Liability insurance would cover you if you are involved in an accident with another driver, but will not cover repairing your car if you accidentally damaged it yourself.
Car Insurance Dont's
- Don't buy insurance because the company is showing cute commercials or have a special advertising angle. You are out to get the best car insurance value for your money, regardless of the quality or entertainment value of the commercials.
- Be honest about your driving record and do not fabricate if your driving has not been exemplary. As you may know, it takes just a quick check of your driving record at the DMV to get the true story of how you drive. If you drive safe in the first place, you have nothing to worry about.
- Do not buy car insurance from the same insurance company year after year if changing insurance will save you money. In other words, be flexible in your car insurance choices.
Buy the Right Car Insurance for the Right Price
Buying the right car insurance at the right price is just as important as making your car payments on time and keeping your car maintaned.
Purchase your car insurance after doing the necessary research including comparison shopping, and you can be assured that you will make an informed decision in choosing the right company for your car insurance needs.
How to Make the Best Deal on Your Dream Car
- How to Make the Best Deal on Your Dream Car!
Buying a car, much less your dream car, can be a daunting task. However, knowing how to make your best car deal will not only benefit your purse strings but will boost your self-confidence as well!