Enjoying Life post Retirement
Each country has her own standard retirement age, which ranges from 55 to 65 years. In India, the present retirement age is 60. Since it is a well known fact that one will retire on the stipulated age most of the people would plan for their retirement life well in advance. Many parents would have accomplished their responsibility of educating and settling their children, before they retire from service, especially if they have only one or two children.
Some interesting quotes about retirement -
- It's nice to get out of the rat race, but you have to learn to get along with less cheese. - Gene Perret
- Life begins at retirement. - Author Unknown
- I'm not just retiring from the company, I'm also retiring from my stress, my commute, my alarm clock, and my iron. - Hartman Jule
- A gold watch is the most appropriate gift for retirement, as its recipients have given up so many of their golden hours in a lifetime of service. - Harry Mahtar
- I try to treat each evening and weekend as little slices of retirement because no one is guaranteed a lengthy one at the end of their career. - Mike Hammar
- No longer having to punch a time clock is my definition of retirement. That way I could do what I want — when I want — anytime I want. - Brooky Brown
Some continue working
- Some people, especially professionals like medicine, continue working after retirement age, either in a different hospital or practice, for the sake of serving the society, with their knowledge.
- Some others if they haven't finished their financial responsibilities towards the family take up post-retirement job to support their family, or to support themselves.
Different Choices of Retirement Life
So, if you're a person who has taken care of your retirement life in advance, how will you enjoy your retired life? In today's nuclear families, most retirees prefer to do what they like with their income and time.
Here are some interesting stories of the lives of post-retirees I came to know -.
- Some retirees prefer to spend their tension free life in giving back to the society, by way of helping the community in various ways, such as teaching the underprivileged, counseling, visiting and listening empathetically to the stories of the inmates of old age homes etc.
- Another group of retired parents take care of their grandchildren when their parents are away at work. Many women feel that they didn't have their parents' support to raise their kids when they were in need, so at least their grandchildren shouldn't be deprived of their privilege of raised by their grandparents. They enjoy the company of their grandchildren and feel healthy and energetic. (But those who do not enjoy such a life for their own personal reasons, should not be forced on them by their children as a matter of responsibility or right.)
- During one of my travels I had met a couple who had decided to spend their retired life on visiting religious places. Though they were Hindus by religion, they had not restricted to visit only Hindu temples, they said, they would like to visit as many religious places as possible of other religions on their way, to learn about their customs and understand more about the other religions. What an innovative idea, I thought.
- I know some retirees, who are not satisfied with just doing some social service, have taken up higher responsibilities such as starting of orphanage, destitute home, free school etc. for the poor and needy. They experience happiness and contentment in helping others like never before. What a noble task!
- Some retirees pursue their hobbies which they had kept aside for want of time and money. So they feel that they started living properly after retirement by doing what they really enjoy. They consider retirement as a blessing.
- Another group of senior citizens are the ones who venture into exploring and learning about new skills such as painting, writing, knitting, crocheting, computer skills, fishing, golfing or their favorite hobbies.
- Some belong to the group of adventurous travelers to the unseen parts of their own country and also exploring foreign places. Foreign travel is within the limits of many senior citizens today; for some, financing their own trips and for some others with the sponsorship of their children.
- Some take up writing, their long cherished dream, only after the superannuation from the service, by working part time from home, either for pure enjoyment of sharing knowledge to help others and/or for earning little extra cash.
- I remember of reading an article about a septuagenarian going to computer classes in a village to learn about computer skills. After learning to type on the computer, she was writing about the family history and about the childhood days of her children and then transferring them into CDs so that her grandchildren and great grandchildren, who stay abroad, could read and understand them at their convenient time. Another innovative idea!
- Another group of retirees love to spend their time with nature by gardening and growing their own vegetables and flowers. Some even try by bartering their goods with their friends.
Please answer this poll.
How do you like to spend your retiried life?
Share your idea
Share your idea of spending your post-retiree life, in the comment form. Even if you are a person who has a long way to go for the retirement, don't hesitate to share your idea. It may be helpful to many. The more ideas the better.