- Personal Finance»
- Understanding Finance
How to Borrow Money for Things You Need
Credit Solutions and Basic Financial and Loan Information
Financial basics start with making sure you bring in more money than you spend. Even then, people sometimes get themselves into financial trouble with credit card debt because they don’t realize how much the interest really costs them.
Smart credit solutions begin with having as much knowledge about the workings of money, loans and finances. The decisions you make regarding your finances will greatly impact you lifestyle and your future. There is a lot to know about finances and your future, from investments to taxes, to loans down the road.
One of the first financial decisions young people make is picking credit cards. Credit card use is not just a matter of applying and getting accepted. Credit cards, when used properly can help you manage your cash flow, and assist you in other good finanancial decisions. Credit solutions start and end with responsible use of money that is extended to you. Credit cards are not free money. Whatever you use it for must be paid, and the quicker you pay, the less interest or no interest will be owed on it.
Credit Cards and Your Credit Score
Before you apply for a credit card, think about what purpose the credit card will serve for you. Are you going to use it as a convenience, so you don’t have to carry as much cash. Or are you going to use it because you don’t have the cash. There is a big and costly difference. There is a responsibility that goes along with having a credit card and you it is good to be disciplined in using it and paying for it. As part of your the many credit solutions you will face, the main one is to avoid debt in the first place, buy knowing how you will be using the credit card.. Read what you are about to sign up for. Understand what the interest rate is. If you are offered a special introductory rate, be aware of when the special rate expires. Are you signing up for something with an annual fee? Shop around and compare rates. When you get your credit card, start using it judiciously. Your aim ist to establish a good credit record through prompt payments and paying on time. When you start to establish a good credit record, the bank may offer you a bigger credit line. Did you know you can refuse it? If you are offered a higher line of credit, you can tell the bank you want it to be lower. If you do have credit card debt, pay off the highest rates as fast as you can. Avoid paying the minimum amount due.
Another credit solution is having too many credit cards. Even if you don’t use the credit cards and owe nothing on them, the line of credit counts on your credit rating and can adversely affect your credit score. As in everything in life, balance is important. Credit solutions involve having a few credit cards (including store cards) to obtain a credit score that establishes you as a responsible payer. The rule of thumb among financial experts is that your line of credit should be about 20% of your yearly income.
Free Offers Can Be Costly
Free offers with credit cards may end up being very costly to you, so be smart, be credit solution wise. There are many “tricks” that can easily cause you to accrue interest and debt,. When you are aware of some of the ways you can get snagged you can avoid them and start thinking about credit solutions and saving money for your future.
Cancel credit cards you are not using. Just cutting credit cards up, is not enough to ensure a good credit solution and to having an excellent credit rating. Cancel those unused credit cards and tell the bank you want the credit report to show the account is closed. This will help your credit score to be higher. Credit lines on credit cards are considered available money according to the credit bureau reports, and will reflect negatively, because lenders feel you “could” use that money and increase your debt.
Good credit solutions also rely on your vigilance. Check your credit card statement regularly and match it to your receipts to make sure they accurately reflect what you spent, what you returned, and what you paid. Any billing errors should be put in writing to protect yourself. You must still pay the rest of your credit card bill, or you will owe interest on that amount. You must notify the bank within 60 days from the statement date, of any errors you find.
Credit Solutions Start with Knowing More
Another credit solution is talking to your bank about the interest rate on your credit card. Sometimes they will negotiate with you and lower the rate. It can’t hurt to ask. Never loan your credit card to someone else. Try to set up a budet, and put money in a savings account so you have money for a “rainy day”. Even the smallest amount saved with start to add up.
- Many credit cards use one rate for balance transfers, another for cash advances, and another for purchases. As you payments the bank usually applies your payments to the lowest rate first, leaving you with the higher rate unpaid. Vigilance is an imporant part of keeping more money in your pocket, and an excellent tip for good credit solutions.
- Banks frequently change interest rates, even if your credit card claims it is a fixed rate. . Keep a watch on what they are doing. Read the notices they send you titled “Change in Your Terms” and watch your statements. The bank is obligated to give you a 15 day notice of rate changes. Action towards your credit solution is paying the least amount of interest that you possibly could.
- Late payments or delinquent payments will certainly raise your interest rates. If you are late once, you can appeal to the bank, and often they will even take off the late fees and interest. But if you are late more often, they will increase your interest rate significantly.
- Periodically banks will scan your credit report, and may increase your interest rate if your credit report is flagged for something. An important credit solution is to value your credit rating. Treasure your credit score, it is very valuable. Get your free credit report and check it for errors so that your credit score is accurate.
- Interest is added to purchases as soon as they are charged if you are carrying a balance on your card. This is how credit cards work against you. When you don’t carry a balance, you can buy the item and pay for it when you get your statement. Credit cards used in this way, allow you to have a cash flow and not have to outlay your money immediately.
- Sometimes credit card companies will entice you to skip payments. Don’t do it. The credit card balance will continue to accumulate interest. In the end, you will owe even more money, and the bigger gains go to the bank, not you. Credit solutions are resolved by knowing how the credit cards try to entice you to get you to pay more interest.
- Very often, big ticket items will offer no interest, no payments for a year. This isn’t something to be avoided, as long as you read the details of the offer. As long as you pay the full amount due before the year, you will not owe any interest. If you wait to the end of the free period or later, you will owe interest from the time you purchased the item from a year ago. So be careful of this deal, it is good, but pay it in the 11th month, not the 12th to avoid huge interest charges. Credit solutions to debt start with avoiding overspending. Even if the offer for no payments for a year is great, you have to ask yourself if you really need it. If you don’t need it, don’t buy it. No matter what the offer, you will stay have to pay for.
Having good credit solutions is the start of avoiding debt, and the start of good saving habits. It is important to be aware of the financial basics so that you know how credit card interest can really add up. Be savvy about the many ways you can get into financial trouble with your credit cards and purchasing.