- Personal Finance»
- Debt & Bankruptcy
Help For Shopaholics Stop Compulsive Shopping
When people hear the word shopaholic they probably think of a person that owns everything under the sun or someone who spends too much money on material things that is wealthy or just spoiled. Nothing could be further from the truth. Shopaholics are physically emotionally and mentally hooked on shopping.
Compulsive shopping is a serious condition that affects thousands of people's lives in America. Some 15,000,000 or more people suffer from shopping addiction. If you or someone you know is a shopaholic who is trying to find a way to overcome this destructive behaviour there is hope. As more and more research is being done about compulsive shopping, doctors are finding and successfully using different ways to help shopaholics.
Out of control shopping does not only effect the shopper it also effects family members, spouses, loved ones and friends. Many times married over active spenders will be divorced and in debt before they can control their spending habits.
Help For Shopaholics
If shopping is sending you into debt, putting strain on your marriage and basically ruining your life there is help. The first thing every doctor will tell you is that shopaholics use shopping for a sense of relief or escape from another underlying problem. Things like depression, low self esteem and anxiety can all be issues shopaholics have.. Talking with a psychologist is a great first step.
Compulsive shopping may also have a biochemical component One of the first test that is done by any doctor who specializes in shopping addiction will be a screening for bipolar disorder. The reason for this is that excessive spending often is seen in the manic or hypo-manic phase of bipolar disorder. However most shopaholics do not have the condition.
One major key to successfully overcoming compulsive shopping is simply taking responsibility for ones own actions. Stop denying the problem and or blaming others. Shopaholics who truly want help need to say enough is enough. Once a shopaholic realizes that shopping is just not worth the troubles that are caused from shopping excessively things get much easier. Make the decision to change and change will come.
Compulsive shoppers need to remember that they control their own life but have allowed themselves to be out of control.
Tips For Shopaholics
- After owning up to the problem, shopaholics should let people in their life know that they have out of control spending habits.
- Acknowledge the fact of any debt that has incurred and seek help in developing a plan for resolving debt issues. Places like consumer credit counseling services is where to start.
- Toss all credit cards and only make purchases that can be payed for by cash or check.
- Create a budget to track spending
- Develop and stick with a weekly spending savings plan that is only for nonessential purchases.
- Do not go shopping alone. Always have a friend come along.
- Do not shop without a list of specific items to buy and avoid malls.
- Consider going to self help group meetings like Debtors Anonymous.
- Seek professional help for counseling to manage depression or anxiety.
More Help For Shopping Addiction
- Shopaholics - Overcome Compulsive Shopping Addiction | Hypnosis Downloads.com
Are you a shopaholic? Relieve your need for compulsive shopping quickly and easily...
- Welcome to Shopaholics Anonymous
treating Shoplifting, Shopping Addictions, Employee Theft Addictions and all types of Compulsive theft and spending addictions.