- Personal Finance»
- Understanding Finance
How Much Did Things Cost in the Year I Was Born?
Things Cost Cash!
How much did things cost?
As we get older as people, we start to notice how the cost of things have gone up, (waaaaay up). When I was born I remember using pennies and nickels and actually getting something for it!
The cost of things has gone way up, and in 2009 we're paying record prices for things like gas, food, heat and hydro, and mortgage payments. The global recession has hit a lot of us very hard and we start to reminisce about spending even a quarter of the price to get the same thing we're buying now.
I've listed a few common things and how much they used to cost in previous years below. Check it out - sooo much cheaper, but of course, everything's relative.
How much did things cost they year I was born: Gas Prices
Here's a list of gas prices in the US for unleaded regular
- In 1976 gas costs averaged $0.61 a gallon
- In 1980 gas costs averaged $1.22 a gallon
- In 1990 gas costs averaged $1.10 a gallon
- In 2000 gas costs averaged $1.51 a gallon
How much did things cost the year I was born: Cigarette Prices
Here's a list of average cigarette prices in the US:
- In 1970 a pack of cigarettes cost around $0.38
- In 1980 a pack of cigarettes cost around $0.85
- In 1990 a pack of cigarettes cost around $1.20
- In 2000 a pack of cigarettes cost around $3.10