ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How Parents can help you save tax

Updated on December 3, 2012

How mom and dad can cut your tax

Right from birth, parents are always there to protect you. Now even when you feel independent, parents will be there to help you indirectly by letting you save more tax. They can bring down your tax liability in various ways, provided they are in a lower tax bracket or already retired. If your mom or dad falls in lower tax bracket, you can invest money on their name to save more income tax. It is not just income tax, but you may even earn higher interest as interest rate for senior citizens is usually more.

There are different ways by which you can save income tax by involving your parents directly or indirectly. Find below some of the ways to save more tax.

Invest in their name

You can invest money in your parents’ name if anyone of them falls under lower tax bracket. Every individual enjoys a certain exemption limit; e.g. in India, every adult gets a tax exemption of Rs 160,000/- ($ 3,600) every year. So, if you earn 160,000 or less, you do not have to pay any income tax. You can transfer some money to your parents’ account and invest in their name. It is not just limited to investment in banks; you can even buy shares and save 15% short term capital gain tax if the basic exemption limit has not been crossed.

Pay rent to your Parents

You can surely avail HRA exemption if you live with your parents. You can pay rent to them, but remember rent received will be taxable for your parents and the property must be registered on their name. So, if your parents fall in lower tax bracket, it will surely be helpful for you to save some tax.

Minimize losses in share market and save capital gain tax

As you know you can offset your short term losses with short term capital gains; but what if you have long term capital losses. You can not offset long term capital losses with long term gains or short term gains, so it is a complete loss of money. But if you will involve your parents, they can help you offset these long term losses against a gain from other assets such as property, debt funds, etc. and carry forward unadjusted loss for up to 8 financial years.

If you had bought some shares that are making loss in long term then you can make your parents buy these shares through off-market transaction. Off-market transaction is a private deal where no securities transaction tax is paid and the sale should be at the market price of the shares. So, open a demat account for your parents and minimize your losses.

Health Insurance Policy

Though taking a health insurance policy is always recommended, but it also helps you to save tax. Your taxable income can be reduced by up to Rs 15,000 if you take a health insurance policy, and in case your parents are senior citizens, there will be an additional deduction of Rs 20,000 for health insurance policy. Even if there would be no extra tax benefit, you must take health insurance for your parents; after all they also looked after your needs when you were a child.

Above are the few ways to save more income tax by involving your mom and dad. So, never overlook your parents, they will always be helpful throughout your life.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)