- Personal Finance»
- Income & Making Money
Tips On How To Start An Online Home-Based Business and Avoid Scams
No More Excuses
You can probably think of a hundred excuses for not doing something to improve your way of life. "I have no time", "I don't have the money to make money", or "I'm too tired" are among the common excuses. These are all excuses we sell ourselves on when we are actually just fearful of the unknown and the risk factors involved with any start up.
Naturally, we really are tired, we don't have a whole lot of spare time, and we probably do not have all the money we wish we had. However, that should not stop you from discovering your entrepreneurial side.
These simple start up tips will get you on your way. Read on to find out how you can possibly manage to make hundreds or even thousands per day from the comfort of your own home and even in your spare time.
Use Your Computer To Make Money
According to "Small Business Opportunities" magazine, you can use a variety of techniques and tools on your computer to get started:
- Start a website and sell anything from wholesale merchandise to a product you have developed yourself.
- Create a fun blog on a topic you are passionate about. Your energy and knowledge will make people want to visit daily and that can turn lucrative if you sell ads on your site. Visit Google Adsense for more information on selling ads on your site.
- Host auctions on Ebay. Ebay will let you start your own store and help with a variety of e-commerce checkout options.
- Start a shop on Etsy and turn your crafts into a money making opportunity. It seems pretty simple to do.
Have you ever thought about starting an online business from home?
Tips To Manage Your Online Business
1. Do your homework. Research the business name and get a tax ID if you need one.
2. Register your domain name. This will be your URL and represents your identity. Go to http://www.internic.net/regist.html to get a list of places to register your domain name.
3. Select a web host. The web host provides you with space and support to create your website. Sometimes you can get a package deal for the domain registration and the web hosting on sites like Godaddy.com.
4. Design your website. This can be done by downloading WordPress for free or on other sites like Ning.com that will allow you to design your own site for free or for practically nothing. You may also opt to have someone do this for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
5. Begin advertising and marketing. The more viewers you have, the more likely they are to purchase something. Register with search engines to generate the most traffic possible.
6. Comply with online business regulations. Contact an expert at the Federal Trade Commission for more information or visit www.ftc.gov.
7. Find state and local compliance information in addition to federal regulations.
8. Learn federal, state, and local tax requirements. You may need to apply for a tax permit or register with your state revenue agency. A tax permit may be necessary if you live in a state that charges sales tax. Online businesses are responsible for collecting state and local sales taxes from their customers.
9. Here are some additional start up resources that will help you be on your way: www.business.gov and www.sba.gov
Avoid Domain Scams
The Federal Trade Commission, the federal agency that protects consumers, has warned against scam artists that take advantage of the news that the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has made new top-level domain names available for the public for purchase. These include: .aero, .biz, .coop, .info, .museum, .name, and .pro.
The agency warns to not be fooled by those promising you preferential treatment for top-level domains as new names become available. These promises are misleading.
The FTC also cautions domain consumers to protect themselves by:
- Avoiding any domain name preregistration service that guarantees a domain name.
- Avoid dealing with people who send unsolicited faxes. This is an illegal practice.
- Use the ICANN website at www.icann.org, to stay abreast of domain name news.
- Contact the FTC at 1-877-FTC-HELP, if you suspect unfair business practices.
Overall, if you've ever thought about starting your own online home-based business there has never been a better time. Everything you need to know can be found on the Internet or is a few phone calls away. You'll just need some patience, determination, and drive.
While it may not be easy, starting your business may be financially rewarding and you'll surely impress others with your entrepreneurial gumption. Go ahead, and chase your dreams!