How to Find a Reputable Credit Repair Agency to Help Improve Your Credit Score
Beware of the Shiny Lure
When you have lousy credit it’s hard to ignore the large number of companies that promise to repair your credit fast, but beware. Credit repair is not a quick process. It takes times to improve your credit and get back on track. Just like anything else you have to be committed and willing to sacrifice to obtain the things you truly want in life.
I know. I know. Credit is personal. You’re sensitive about it because credit often reveals character, but you are not your credit. You don’t have to feel guilty because you are in the situation. Many people have overcome similar or worst credit situations because the experienced a financial set back such as losing their jobs, getting a divorce or suffering an illness
I know. It’s a crummy place to be in, but the truth is you are there, but you don’t have to be forever. You can take control of your credit, but you have to let go of your emotions and think with your head.
A lot of companies promise to improve your credit and delete your debt forever, but only some actually do. They prey on people like you that just want an easy and quick fix. In the end, they make be promises but do remarkably little in the rapid time you imagined. Beware of this kind of companies. Those are the type of companies that make promises they can’t keep. They might tell you they can remove accurate data off your credit report, but they can’t. If you were late on your car payment three times last year and that’s the truth, it will remain. Accurate information remains on your credit report for up to 7 years and bankruptcies can stay on for as long as 10 years.
Help! I'm not getting anywhere doing this on my own.
Where can I find a reputable credit repair company to help me?
Good question. Many credit repair companies have excellent reputations, although some don’t. It’s essential to get one with a good reputation for helping people.
Here are a few tips on how to find and review credit repair companies.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to find highly rated credit repair agencies in your area.
- Use the internet to research national credit repair companies, but deal locally. When it comes to your money, (credit is money) you want to hire someone you know, like and trust. This is better accomplished on a face-to-face basis. When you find a few companies you want visit their office and interview them. Ask them what they can and intend to do for you based on your credit. Find out how long they’ve been in business, and the type of success they’ve had repairing credit for people with similar credit issues like yours. Other questions include asking how much their services will cost you, how long will it take for them to repair your credit and if there will be any additional fees outside of credit repair.
- If those tactics didn’t work ask around. Sometimes employers provide referrals or maintain a database of financial service companies to help their employees take control of their credit. Family and friends are also an excellent resource. You are not the only that have suffered from credit issues. Car salesmen, dealers and real estate agents network or partner with companies that improve their clients improve their credit scores they can make large purchases. They just might be an excellent resource for you too.
- No luck with any of those? Check out these places nonprofit credit counseling programs can be found in most states. Universities, local colleges, banks and even some branches of the US Cooperative Extension services operates a consumer protection agencies that can help consumers improve their credit.
- After you identified and visited a credit repair company that you would like to hire, ask for a written contract. The contract must explain what the credit repair company has promised to do, the duration of the agreement (how long they expect to do it) and outline any obligations that you might have to them (how much it will cost you)
- –Note if you don’t like their service – Contracts in most states can be canceled within three days. Check your agreement to be sure.