How to Have a Garage Sale That is Profitable
Garage sales can be profitable and easily done!
Plan, Organize, Sell!
A Garage Sale should not be something put together over night. It requires careful planning and preparation. These steps are here to help you have the best and most profitable garage sale ever!
1. Plan a date! Plan at least two weeks ahead so you have time to advertise your garage sale in paper.
2. Find what it is you want to sell. If you haven't used the item in the past three months then it's probably better to get rid of it.
3. Price all the items. Price them a bit more then what you want to ask for because people will try to ask for lower. You can go to the store and find little stickers with prices otherwise just find some duct tape and tear off small pieces to use for price tags.
4. ADVERTISE! Put something in the area newspapers, Craigslist, and tell people you know about your garage sale. Social Networking sites like facebook can be a great free way to advertise to family and friends.
Make or buy some signs. Beware putting specific things on them for sale. You want anybody and everybody to be directed to your sale. Many people are only looking for one certain item but who knows maybe you have that special item they forgot they were looking for.
5. THE DAY OF SALE! Post any signs made. Start bringing everything out early in the morning. Try to start by 8am.You will get more traffic on Fridays and Saturdays. Sundays can be slow because of church and other lazy activities. Depending on where you live it can get slow later in the afternoon. Mornings seem to be the best time for business. If you have little ones 9-2 is a much more manageable time then 8-6.
6. Put the bigger and best stuff at the end of the street so people will take notice.
7. Greet every person with a smile and hello. Treat your sale as if it were your own store. People will feel more comfortable and it might increase your sales.
8. Have fun and don't get depressed if you don't much traffic at your garage sale. Every day of your sale will be different.
9. Last day of the garage sale you can discount everything for 1/2 or more if you are in a rush to get rid of it. Otherwise donate it to the local thrift store or advertise it on craigslist or eBay.
Whatever you do don't stress and in the end your wallet may thank you for it!