12 Signs You Are Really Broke
Money - Who Has Money?
At some point in life, you might be really broke. It is OK because it can be an incredible learning experience, that is, if you don't starve during the experience. If you view it that way and work really hard, eventually you can usually dig yourself out a bit... even if only a little. Sometimes being poor happens for so long it becomes a lifestyle. During this period of time, you may find yourself doing some things only people who are really broke do.
In case you are wondering if you are only a little down on your luck or you are just totally broke, I have a guide to help you. In some cases, yes, you could just be the cheapest person on the planet. However, if you have to live this way due to a lack of money, then you are just simply living the broke lifestyle. Check out these signs to help you determine if you are super broke right now.
Signs you are really broke:
1. You could not visit your friend for dinner because she asked you to bring a dish. Initially, you were really excited about the idea of free food until you realized what you were supposed to do with the dish. Bringing a dish does not mean you should fill that dish with leftovers at the end of the night to eat the rest of the week. You are actually supposed to cook something yourself to put on the dish to bring to the party. Cook something yourself? Find food in your cabinets? Guess you are not going to dinner.
2. Go to a festival for the day? No one has money for that. Wait, the festival is in walking distance and some vendors are giving away stuff? That new Italian restaurant down the street is giving away slices of pizza? Grab more than one pair of sunglasses to wear so maybe they won't recognize you when you get in line more than once! That festival sounds like a good idea after all.
3. While looking for loose change in the couch, you were delighted to find two old M&Ms. The lack of lint or ants let you know they should still be edible. Snack time!
4. Your friend asked if he could crash on your couch for a couple of days. It seemed like a good idea to charge him rent for the time he was there. You also charged him for use of the bathroom, eating one banana, and using a few tissues. He won't be crashing on your couch anymore.
5. When someone invites you to a party, your first question is, "Do I have to bring a gift?" Your next question is always, "Will there be food?" The last question is typically, "Can I bum a ride?"
6. Suddenly walking to work and grocery stores seem like a good, healthy idea. Even if the store is 5 miles away, who has the money for a bus? Nope, it is best to save two dollars and walk a couple hours.
7. You've found yourself lingering around dumpsters way too much. People throw out good stuff all the time. Maybe you could find a much needed item for your home. Perhaps you could sell something good on eBay. Hey, did someone throw out a couple of perfectly good slices of pizza? No one would notice if you grabbed them right now, would they?
8. You are really happy your neighbor's wireless internet password is simply "password" when you log in each day. You are also pretty pleased with his big screen TV. Peering into his window at night to watch whatever he is watching is easier that way. It would just be nice if he watched a little less "America's Funniest Home Videos," but hey, thrifty Peeping Toms can't be picky.
9. The dog's food is starting to look more delicious with each passing day. It is a good thing you love your dog so much, or he might start looking pretty delicious, too.
10. Babysitting other people's kids and mowing lawns for extra money never looked as appealing as they look now. Working a second or third job at McDonald's seems better and better each day, too.
11. If you even hear the word "free" you come running like there is no tomorrow.
12. All those research experiments listed in the newspaper seem pretty legit now. You are just hoping you don't catch some horrifying new disease if you participate. Well, on second thought, you'd better just make more money if you do catch something. It could be worth it.
Copyright ©2014 Jeannieinabottle
Even More Fun Stuff to Read:
- Reasons To Be Happy About Being Poor
Being down on your luck and out of money can have its perks. Let's discuss some of the reasons to be happy about being poor.
- Stuff You Shouldn't Say If You're Broke
If you don't have a lot of money, maybe you need to think twice about your purchases. You definitely need to think more about what you say to people. There is some stuff broke people just shouldn't say to anyone.
- How to Save Money While at Work
If you work full-time, but still aren't making ends meet, let's discuss some ways to save money while working. Make your full-time job work for you!
- 10 Ways to Have Fun with $10 or Less
Many people are not living the amazing lifestyle they once did. Everyone has to manage money much more so now than in the past. However, staying on a budget does not mean you can't have some fun!