- Personal Finance»
- Income & Making Money
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) should be ashamed - Review of the BBB
Myself and my wife purchased a bedset from a company who I shall not name here. First the bed came broken and 2 weeks late. The company, after much commotion sent a replacement foot board. But of course it was the wrong item as could be seen from their advertisement. The foot board was a completely different style.
We had bought this Item online and it was the first time we had ever purchased a large item online so we went to the better business bureau website and found that the company was rated with an "A-". Not too bad, right?
The company refused to remedy the problem, so we contacted the Better Business Bureau. At the time we believed that the BBB were their to mediate and to make things right. How wrong we were!
The problems were as follows:
1. The business refused to correspond with us. They had hung up on me twice. They admitted to this but said I was rude so they were right to hang up on me.
2. A part we had received for our bed was the wrong part. This could be proven through pictures and otherwise. The company admitted this and "apologized".
3. The company offered us a partial refund on condition that we change our negative feedback on the website where we purchased the item to positive feedback. I refused. My negative feedback may be the only way to warn others. I presume they have done this before and that is the reason that they have "positive feedback".
4. I requested a partial refund without the need for positive feedback as this would be a lie.
5. The company stated (on the record to the BBB) that it's against their policy to give partial refunds.
6. The advertisement stated that the bed was "Made in the USA". The bed was "Made in China".
7. The company stated (on the record to the BBB) that the part they sent to us was the right part and that their advertisement was correct.They admitted that it was Made in China.
8. The company then did a U turn, apologized that the bed they sent us was the wrong bed and offered us a return if we paid for shipping. The Bed almost a grand. The shipping would have cost hundreds, if not the same price of the bed.
9. The company updated their advertisement with the picture reflecting the product they were actually selling. They did not, however state that it was made in China and continue to claim that it's "Made in the USA".
So we established that the company sold us something that was not as described and we wanted a refund, but shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars. They then offered us a partial refund on condition that we lie about our experience. When we refused, they stated that they don't issue partial refunds.
What the Better Business Bureau did for us
Nothing. The BBB forwarded emails over and back between us and the business. In the end they sent us this email.
Complaint ID#: xxxxxxxx
Business Name: xxxxxxxxxxx, Inc.
BBB has received a rebuttal response from the business in the above complaint. The Bettter Business BBB has received a rebuttal response from the business in the above complaint. Details of the complaint (including the business' response) can be accessed at the following website address: http://orlando.app.bbb.org/complaint/view/90123324/c/837f4x.
The company has decided to stand by its original decision regarding your complaint.
We regret that we have been unable to assist in resolving this complaint to the satisfaction of everyone involved. Your complaint will remain on file and will be used by BBB when preparing a report on the company.
Consumer Affairs Representative
The Business has our money and quite a chunk of it. They have admitted fault, false advertised, tried to bribe us into a good review, yelled at me over the phone twice and hung up on me and passed the blame onto the manufacturer. And what has the BBB done? Nothing. I am left with an item I didn't purchase and this "company" continues to operate as it does.
See the BBB has all companies up on it's website. Every company! But you see, they give your company an F until you claim your "page". To claim your page you must pay the BBB. Once you pay them, they will give you an A and defend you.
They fooled me into thinking that they were impartial, into thinking that they could help me and wasn't I a fool. NEVER, read a review on their site or trust them. It is this naivety that gives them the power to collect membership from these businesses. And it's this naivety that wastes our time as consumers.
The BBB are not out to help us. They are out to help their members. Remember that and avoid the BBB. They, themselves are anything but a "Better" business.
Did you know that companies pay fees to be "represented"?
Do you Trust the BBB?
Isn't it unfair on all of the companies out there who are not "represented".
I reserve the right to express an opinion and spread the experience I have encountered as stated above in my own opinion. The BBB sees itself fit to rate businesses. I see myself fit to rate them as a business. F-