Advantages of Online Shopping
Online shopping pros and cons
Shopping on the internet has its advantages but also carry some disadvantages along the way. If you are a newbie at buying stuff online then there are a few things you may need to know first.
The good things about internet shopping:
- There are many more stores to choose from than if you were actually shopping on land. You would have to walk miles and miles to find this many stores. Now you have hundreds, if not thousands all in one place.
- You can get almost any thing you need on the internet. Places like Amazon.com carry a wide variety of items.
- There are always deals, sales and discounts happening.
- You don't have to leave the comfort of your home to shop.
- You save time which may save you some money, such as petrol bills.
- You don't need cash to shop, a credit or debit card will do.
What you need to be aware of when shopping online:-
- Make sure the site you are shopping from is secure. View their certificates and site information before giving your credit/debit card information. If you are not sure, don't shop! A secure site will display an SSL certificate security badge.
- A good site will display "HTTP://" before the website URL in the address bar. A protected site will display "HTTPS://" before the site's URL so this is the one to shop from.
- Shop from reputable sites. These are usually well known and almost anyone who uses the internet will have heard of many of them. Some examples are Amazon.com, Abercrombie, Gap and BestBuy. See list of recommended stores.
- Never give your password to anyone online, even the store you are shopping at.
- Beware of Phishing sites. These are sites designed to steal information by pretending to offer something to surfers. Using a computer which has a malware scanner is the best. A browser which can detect such sites is also highly recommended.
Tips From Google
Getting the best out of your shopping experience
Don't be scared to shop online as it could be a very rewarding experience, plus, this is the new trend. Almost anything you need you can get using the internet portal to find many online stores. You can buy electronics, clothing, shoes, groceries and even prepared food online. Want to get your mom some flowers, no problem. Even wedding and engagement rings are sold online.
Before you make a commitment, do a search of more than one stores and compare prices and shipping costs. Never buy the first item you see as there may be cheaper or better quality elsewhere.
Get an idea of the shopping policies first so it's best to read their terms of service and warranty information. If possible have their telephone number ready in case you have a query and you need to call. It is not recommended to buy from a store that cannot display contact information. You should have access to a customer service or support department.
It is very good to develop a relationship with some stores online where you have an account. These stores may offer special discounts to valued customers. You may be the first to get in on certain deals and if you subscribe to their newsletters you will know when new items come in.
Tips on saving when shopping via the internet
- Try to find deals and sales.
- Use coupons to get discounts.
- Gift or gift cards are great options.
- Shop at stores which offer free shipping and packaging.
- Buying pre-season and out of season can save you some pennies. Items such as summer clothing are less expensive during the winter and vice verse.
- Make sure the store has no hidden fees.
Shopping online can be a very fulfilling experience if done right. Follow these tips and you can't go wrong and remember that coupons help you save.