- Personal Finance»
- Income & Making Money
30 Tips to Make More Money Answering Questions on WebAnswers
Why do I think I'm qualified to offer tips?
Being a member at WebAnswers for just 12 days so far may not seem like it gives me much experience for offering tips on how to make more money answering questions on WebAnswers, but know that when I put my mind to attempting something new, I usually put my all into it.
I spent about 7 hours on WebAnswers on my first day there, getting used to the site, exploring how the site worked, answering questions, and asking a few of my own;
I finished answering the required first 50 questions on my third day;
It was also on the third day that I linked up my Adsense account so that I could start earning - from what I had already done on WebAnswers and from what I would still do on WebAnswers;
At the end of my 11th day on WebAnswers I had earned $5 for my efforts;
Note: After my first 4 or 5 days on WebAnswers I simply did not have the time available to spend as much time on the site as I would have liked to - I believe that had I had more free time available on days 6 to 11, that I would have earned more than $5 by the end of my 11th day.
The tips below are also what I myself have already done or will be doing in an attempt to make more money answering questions on WebAnswers, and are based on what I've been learning on the site so far:
- If you're new to WebAnswers, get your first 50 questions answered as soon as possible, but while answering them, and while getting used to the site, also bear in mind the following 29 tips.
- If you want to know how something works on WebAnswers, or are struggling to understand something about the site, and after some efforts at trying to explore the site to find out what you want to know, but failing to find the information, do a search on WebAnswers using some keywords in your search. There is very often somebody else on the site who wanted to know the same thing, and asked a question about it. Read through the answers of the more experienced members. Or, ask a question!
- When you ask a question on WebAnswers, go back a while later - or even a few days later, at least, and award the best answer.
- If new members ask questions about the workings of the site, they will be unable to find the "WebAnswers General Questions" category in the drop down list of categories they must select from after typing in their question and after describing their question in more detail, but they can choose the miscellaneous category and WebAnswers owners or staff may move the question to the correct category themselves. The "WebAnswers General Questions" category will however appear to them in the drop down category selections after these new members have answered their first 50 questions.
- Upload an image for your profile picture - the default profile image doesn't do much for your credibility - people trust you more if you have a unique picture for your profile picture.
- Try make your image something that stands out a little from most others - so look at the profile pictures of other members, and try and come up with something for yourself that will stand out a bit more - perhaps with bright color choice, a little border on your profile image, or whatever creative idea you may have.
- Write a fairly lengthy and interesting profile description for yourself - look at the profile descriptions of other members profiles to get an idea of what might look good on your own profile. Here's the link to my own WebAnswers profile. I may still tweak it further, or even change my profile image for another.
- Although putting links to outside sites into the answers you give on WebAnswers is frowned upon, and I actually don't think even allowed, you can put links in your profile. So use that opportunity to link to your own sites or articles on your own sites, to HubPages, to your HubPages profile, or to a few of your HubPages hubs - remembering to include your referral code in the HubPages links. Doing this may help increase your earnings you make on your own sites or on HubPages.
- Do not set yourself up to expect to make a fortune on WebAnswers - doing that may discourage you when you see it doesn't happen, and may make you completley give up on attempting to at least make a bit of money on WebAnswers. Although you want to make money on WebAnswers, your main reason to join WebAnswers should be that you like answering questions and helping others. If you can keep that in mind, you are more likely to find it easier to answer questions, and to actually increase your earnings on WebAnswers at the same time.
- Understand that lack of activity on WebAnswers is likely to make your earnings decrease a bit, or even considerably, so after your initial rush to answer 50 questions, get used to the site, and link up your Adsense account, do try and visit the site each and every day to answer at least 3 to 10 questions - if you have to skip a day, then the next day try to answer at least 5 to 15 questions. At the least, know that answering just 1 or 2 questions per day is better than thinking it's not worth it if you have time to do only one or two to bother at all . Do bother.
- Worry about your quality score. A bit difficult when you never know what it is, but if you worry about it, you'll stand a greater chance at increasing your earnings on WebAnswers. If you have a good quality score, you may score extra "accepts" (awarded best answers) from WebAnswers even though you don't know for which answers of yours this was. Also, with a better quality score, you may share in Adsense revenue on other areas of the site besides where you answered questions or had your answer awarded as the best answer a question received.
- To improve your quality score, write answers of at least 8 lines, but even as long as 20 or more lines. Also watch your grammar, spelling and typos. You cannot edit your answers until you have received at least 5 best answer awards.
- Once you can edit your answers, go back and fix any errors you made in answers you already gave.
- Your main aim, when trying to make money on WebAnswers, is to have your answer awarded as the best answer out of all answers that question received, because then it is only you that receives all of the Adsense revenue that WebAnswers shares with its members, for that page. Do not feel discouraged if only very few of your answers are awarded as best answers - you can still earn from your answers that don't receive the best answer award - that is until one of the other answers on that page is awarded as best answer.
- Never think that you are not going to bother to answer a question because you doubt that you'd receive the best answer award for your answer. Many questions are never awarded a best answer, and if one of your answers is on that page, then you and the other members who answered that question share in the Adsense earnings for that page.
- If you've read and understood the above tip, you should realise that it's a good idea to sometimes try to answer some much older questions on the site, that have no answer awarded as the best answer, as the member who asked the question may not even be a member anymore, and may never come back and award a best answer for his or her question.
- When answering those older questions that you think may never be awarded a best answer, try and answer mostly those that have no answers already, or only 2 or 3 answers - that way there are less members that you have to share the Adsense earnings with.
- If you are determined to spend most of your time answering more recent questions and hope to be awarded the best answer, visit the profile of the person who asked the question, and see how often they award best answers for their questions. If they never do, or hardly ever do, and you're trying to get awarded many best answers, why bother answering their question? But at the same time remember that if the question has not received many answers and you do go ahead and bother to answer the question anyway, there will be less members that you have to share the Adsense earnings with.
- Be careful of becoming one of those members who never awards any answers as best answers for questions you yourself ask - you don't want other members looking at your profile and seeing that you don't award best answers - why would they then bother to ever give you a best answer award if you never give other members best answer awards?
- Know why some members never give best answer awards: They may be new members who just want an answer to a certain question, and when they get their answer they never bother to return to the site again, or, they want to earn from their question, and to do so, they never award a best answer. If they award an answer as best answer, they won't receive earnings for their question anymore, and they don't care about this possibly reducing their chances of other members wanting to ever award their answers as best answers.
- If you do ask a question, and want to earn from it a bit, perhaps wait a few days before awarding a best answer award - that way you earn from your question a little bit, before you award a best answer, as well as reduce your chances of having members never want to award any of your answers as the best answer.
- If you ask a question and award an answer as the best answer - whether you make the award the same day or a few days later, then go and visit the profile of the person who you gave the award to (if you haven't already visited that profile to see if they also often award best answers) and see if they have some questions that still need answering or that have not yet been awarded a best answer - and answer those questions, hoping your answer is liked by that member, and also hoping that because the member appreciates you recently awarding them a best answer to one of your questions, that they will award your answer to their question as the best one.
- If you can try stop yourself from worrying too much that the member who recently asked a question will simply and quickly award the first answer that he or she gets as the best answer, wait until you can see two or three other answers there, and then try to make your answer better than those.
- Answer more questions than you ask questions.
- To make best use of your time available to answer questions on WebAnswers, increase the amount of questions you can manage to answer each day, by looking for categories that are on topics you already know a bit about. You can spend less time answering questions when you don't first need to do research on the topic.
- Since you can earn a bit from the efforts of WebAnswers members you have referred, try to refer many new members.
- Make a unique referral code for yourself just like you have done or can do on HubPages, to avoid having an ugly default referral code. You can only make a unique referral code for yourself for WebAnswers after having frst answered 50 questions.
- Using your referral code, link to WebAnswers from other sites - from your own sites or from HubPages too. Perhaps link to the WebAnswers How WebAnswers Works page rather than to the homepage, so that your potential referrals immediately get off to a good start on WebAnswers should they join, having first read about how the site works.
- On other sites, also link to some questions that you have answered, especially to those questions where it was your answer that was awarded as the best answer, or to those questions that look like they will never have an answer awarded as the best answer. Use your referral code in the links. You want to increase traffic to the pages you can earn from on WebAnswers, and may even get a new member signing up using your referral code at the same time!
- Try to be as helpful as you can when answering questions, and have fun!