jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

i would like to know if taxes are taking out of my unemploment

1. profile image42
    gblanyarposted 7 years ago

i would like to know if taxes are taking out of my unemploment

2. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

No - not out of UI checks.
    Before 1990, UI benefits were NEVER taxed. Then started taxing the tax  which was total BS. Last year I believe that income tax did not tax UI benefits.

NO taxes are taken out of your UI check, however, don't know what crazy rules the IRS will have on UI benefits for 2010 for income taxes.

Pretty sad when they tax a tax that is used as an insurance for a loss of a job. That like taxing fire/flood insurance because for every hour you work, - YOU pay into UI  - PLUS your boss does also.

Which is why companies try to improve their bottom line by routinely denying UI benefits to laid off workers.

Because if there is a high rate of turnover the company taxes for UI goes up from 1.7% to 3.8% (OR - 10 years ago), for every hour worked by every employee for the entire enterprise.

So IF ever get denied UI always -always appeal, appeal appeal. Some states deny food stamps if get fired from a job and can't get UI. So always fight for your rights if just let go without cause.  Hire at will means fire at will. As long as did not get fired for cause - can get UI benefits.

Always ask for the little blue book ( have to ask hard) that each state has for the different rules - It shows your rights. Something the state don't want you to know.

Grrrrrrrrr

3. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I think this may vary depending on the state, because in Wyoming they give you the option to have taxes taken out of your unemployment check or not. At the end of the year, unemployment benefits still get taxed like every other type of income...it may be because this state doesn't have state taxes, either way it is definitely screwy that it's taxed in the first place.

4. profile image46
    SarahLambertposted 7 years ago

You can choose to have income tax withheld from your unemployment benefit check, but it is not a requirement.  Opting to withhold taxes save the long term unemployed from a large tax bill.

working