how do I fine the owner of a certain property

  1. profile image43
    mcmarsposted 7 years ago

    how do I fine the owner of a certain property

    I'm am trying to obtain my deposit back from my previous landlord, all I ever had was a P.O. Box, I sent a letter to his P.O. Box and he has not claim the letter as of 9/21/10, and I would like to take him to small claims court.  please help.

  2. Margaret W profile image60
    Margaret Wposted 7 years ago

    I would check out California's Department of Consumer Affairs' section on landlord/tenant laws (link below). The law stipulates that landlords have 21 days to return your security deposit. They must either return it in full or provide an itemization of the deductions, which can be applied toward unpaid rent (not all states allow this) and repairing damage beyond normal wear and tear, etc... If this does not apply to you and the landlord has not rightfully returned your deposit, you will likely have to go to small claims court to recover the deposit. If the ruling is in your favor, you may be able to recover twice the amount owed to you as a bad faith penalty against the landlord. But you should check out this site form California's Dept. of Consumer Affairs before you do anything else. (You may have to paste it in.) It will give you everything you need to know at this stage, including some govt. departments and organizations that can help you. … osit.shtml