Best way to file 1040x when it pertains to parents claiming children

1. profile image46
    sokcute22posted 6 years ago

Best way to file 1040x when it pertains to parents claiming children

i filed my return before my fiancee filed his. we have a 6 month old while filing his we realized the child tax credit would benefit us more on his return hid state was accepted but they rejected his federal from what i've learned he now has to file his federal by mail and I have to do an 1040x can we mail them in the same envelope? would this be more helpful or hindersome in getting the situation taking care of? please help!

2. krystalsmith profile image59
    krystalsmithposted 6 years ago

When you say "child tax credit" do you mean Earned Income Credit? Do you and your fiance live together? Which one of you makes  more money?

Assuming you don't need any more detailed help with the child tax credit issue - don't send the tax returns in the same envelope. Send the returns separately and if your fiance has to refile his 2010 tax return for some reason (unlikely but it sounds like that's what you're saying) make sure he mails his on Monday at the post office and get a receipt so you have proof that it was mailed by the deadline. (Which is Monday April 18 this year) in order to avoid late filing penalties.

working