jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there a criminal case for being a default credit cardholder?

1. Mavhe Quijada profile image58
    Mavhe Quijadaposted 6 years ago

Is there a criminal case for being a default credit cardholder?

Only here in the Philippines.

2. David Schulze profile image73
    David Schulzeposted 6 years ago

In the United States you cannot go to jail for debts--IRS is a different story.

Collectors will threaten you with jail time but it is a lie and against the law for them to do this.

They will even go as far as sending someone from law enforcement to your home to arrest you--this is bogus--if they do this--tell them to wait while you go and get some money--then call the police..

3. Mavhe Quijada profile image58
    Mavhe Quijadaposted 6 years ago

HI David, thanks for sharing. I guess it's the same here in the Philippines. But  what appropriate actions is the government implementing with regards to this issue, And, what will happen if we do not pay for our debts? What will also happen to our accounts in the bank?

4. LegendaryN8 profile image58
    LegendaryN8posted 6 years ago

In the USA, most debts can be resolved via bankruptcy (to some extent).  The specifics of that are beyond the range of my expertise.

Federal debts are a different story.  If you owe money to the government, and you default, they can garish your wages and file a lawsuit against you until the debt is resolved.

Since credit cards do not fall into federal debt (unless there's something I am missing), this would not fall into something that is "criminal".  Something criminal would be fraud or identity theft.

working