jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you choose your investments?

1. RobertoPortales profile image75
    RobertoPortalesposted 6 years ago

How do you choose your investments?

2. chamilj profile image59
    chamiljposted 6 years ago

I do not speculate. First I look the past performance of the company then look at the future outlook. If valuations are OK I will invest.

3. Jon Peterz profile image60
    Jon Peterzposted 6 years ago

Track record is important.  For individual stocks, PE ratio, PEG ratio, and how the company compares in these valuations to its peers.  Then look at the macro-climate.  Seasonality should be considered.  It's better to invest in the Fall than May or June after a seasonal run-up.  Overall I prefer the built in diversification and simplicty of ETF's.  Lots of approaches to investing.

4. Alternative Prime profile image75
    Alternative Primeposted 6 years ago

The term "Investments" encompasses an extremely wide variety of products -

If you choose investments on your own without any quote unquote, "Professional" assistance, it can evolve into a very difficult and often times confusing endeavor rather quickly - The shear number of options in Real Estate, Debt & Equity Securities, Precious Metals, Collectables etc. containing varying degrees of complexity of which the novice would need to become educated on, is unquestionably a daunting task even for those individuals who might be considered "Sensationally Savvy" prognosticators -

If however you decide to employ the services of an "Advisor/Planner/Accountant" or other professional to help you choose wisely, the first step in the overall portfolio planning process is for the agent to perform a complete and thorough evaluation of your financial Situation/Condition to accurately gauge "Suitability". This is an essential element required by law and the NASD before any "RECS" can be made - A financial profile must be Crafted & Drafted and the findings subsequently applied to your individual situation by the Advisor, one in which includes documented INCOME STREAM - NET ASSETS - CURRENT INVESTMENTS - RISK TOLERANCE etc. - And then, and only then, can an overall investment selection strategy begin to take shape - "Choice" of investments subsequent to financial enlightenment, is then usually overridden by "Suitability & Common Sense" making the process that much easier - Just A thought - 

Always consider "Fundamentals" when investing in Equities & Debt Securities  -"Mild Year Round Climate" when investing in Real Estate - Unless it's a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Gibson Guitar, simply flip the coin of your choice when investing in "Collectables"  -

5. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Past performance is no guarantee, but it can at least give you an idea of the volatility. I look for funds that have outperformed the indexes over the past decade or so. Index funds are also a good place to start investing. I generally stick with mutual funds. For retirement, I go with "target date" plans that start risky and gradually become more stable as the specified date approaches.

6. hemmerling profile image68
    hemmerlingposted 6 years ago

Start by looking at what has already been done. Strategy screeners with backtesting capabilites are out there. One that I use is Portfolio123. Use the code HKURTIS to get a 45 day free trial and see what I mean. You can mimic trading styles of Warren Buffett, dividend growth, high-growth, whatever plus you can see whether it really has made money over the last 10 years or is some outdated concept no longer relevant.