jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

In this economy, do you have any good budgeting tips?

1. Cheds profile image82
    Chedsposted 6 years ago

In this economy, do you have any good budgeting tips?

2. leros003 profile image58
    leros003posted 6 years ago

I would track all of your finances via an excel document and keep doing that for awhile.  Credit Cards are great for cash back, but can get very iffy on how much you are actually spending without keeping an exact record of it.  You'd be amazed at how much you are spending per month without seeing it in front of you!

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 6 years ago

This suggestion would not work for everyone, but I lost my job in December of 2010. I received a generous severance package and insurance for one year. The first thing I did was to eliminate all my debt. I took a portion of my 401K and paid off the house, second mortgage and credit card.

I then use the severance for monthly expenses, including food, utilities, etc. We eat out less. We did not buy season tickets to the Little Theater this year and we are keeping close tabs on all spending. With any luck, the severance package will cover 18 months instead of the year it was intended to cover.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Save any and all money you can - even pocket change.  Keep as much money from your income as you can - in other words cut spending way way down.

Track all of your expenses - even that cup of coffee at McDonalds.  Once you know where your money is really going, then you can make the changes and cuts to make ends meet.

Yes, paying off debt is super important and do not charge anything at all unless it is an absolute emergency.

working