jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I get a new social security card? How to replace a social security card?

1. lovelydog profile image61
    lovelydogposted 5 years ago

How do I get a new social security card? How to replace a social security card?

I have just lost my social security card and wonder to know where can I replace my social security card. That's to say, how can I get a replacement of my social security card?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

It is very simple. I had to do it. Go to the nearest Social Security office. Does not hurt to have your driver's license and birth certificate with you. I also had my passport, but it was not needed.

Explain why you needed a new card. In my case, I got my first card when I was 13 and there was a question about what name would you use at work. I put Larry Wall.

That is what showed up on the card. However, my legal name is Lawrence Wall. So, with retirement not to far away, I figure it was a good idea to get it change and make sure all the records got recorded right.

One word of warning--there is a limit to how many Social Security card replacements you can get in your lifetime. I think it is five or six, but do not hold me to that.

3. YvetteParker profile image74
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

Go online to ssa.gov. On the Top Services tab on the leftside of the page, select Get or Replace a Social Security card. Complete the online application and then take it to your local Social Security Administration office along with official identification. If you are unsure where the SSA is in your area, you can search the ssa.gov site by your zip code to find it. Once you submit the application in person, it takes approx 2 weeks to receive your replacement card in the mail. I just applied to have mine replaced earlier this week.

4. Ken I Cruz profile image90
    Ken I Cruzposted 3 years ago

Replacing a lost or stolen Social Security card is very simple. Follow these directions and you will receive your card in seven to ten days. This hub will also touch on SSN fraud and ID theft. read more