jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Are there easy ways to cut your electric bill?

1. kcsummers profile image65
    kcsummersposted 5 years ago

Are there easy ways to cut your electric bill?

Short of installing new windows, insulation, etc, (which would be great, but who can afford it right now?), do you know any ways to lower an electric bill?

2. YvetteParker profile image75
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

The most effective way I've discovered to reduce my electrical energy costs is to unplug electronics and electrical appliances when not in use. Even though they may be turned off, I still unplug them. This includes lamps, tvs, phone chargers, small kitchen appliances, radios, etc. Since I can reach the outlet to my washer; I even unplug it as I only do laundry about once every 3 - 4 weeks. By doing this,  my electric bill is less than half of what it was previously. I live alone so it is easier to keep these items unplugged because they are not constantly and continuously being used as they would be if there were additional household members.

1. AmyEliza profile image59
      AmyElizaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's very true. People think turning the lights off means no electricity. Even if something is turned off but still plugged in you're paying for it even more.

3. TheRightWord profile image82
    TheRightWordposted 5 years ago

Hang clothes to dry, then fluff in dryer for a couple of minutes. Cook several meals at once and freeze; the freezer uses less electricity when more full. Use a toaster oven for small stuff instead of the big oven. Open windows first thing in the morning on hot days and close up early. Put quilts or blankets over windows in winter and bundle up.

4. rave1432 profile image60
    rave1432posted 5 years ago

Using lamps instead of overhead lights where there are multiple bulbs can help.

working