What is the safest way to ship delicate items?

1. brittanytodd profile image95
    brittanytoddposted 5 years ago

What is the safest way to ship delicate items?

I am moving and have hundreds of records and some delicate items.  I think I'll choose media mail, because it is cheap, but is this the best way?  How should I pack them or label them to make sure they are safe?

2. sean kinn profile image60
    sean kinnposted 5 years ago

There are a couple of different ways to answer your question: 1) Registered mail is usually the safest way to not lose something in the mail, because it is signed for from person to person. Registered is the one with the Red label and big letter R on the various paperwork and Registered numbers (not to be confused with Certified and other forms of accountable mail, which are not as safe as Registered). 2) Back during my paper book self-publishing days, I tried to mail boxes of books to a distributor without correctly packing the books in heavy duty boxes. Many of the books were damaged because the inside weight was too much for the outside flimsy boxes. Years later, I observed postal employees literally throwing boxes from the back of a mail truck and realized the reality of my actions. So, it depends on what your priority is with protecting your stuff: Loss from theft vs. loss from damage. (Also, modern-day Registered mail be just be a white label with black bar code, but it should still have an R-number and still be signed for from person to person. Thanks for listening! :-) SK (And, Registered mail is very expensive; whereas the other forms of slow mail - Media Mail, 4th Class, SAM - may actually be placed on a boat that travels through Panama. :-):-)