jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How should I go about getting financial aid for college?

1. Jlmoet profile image60
    Jlmoetposted 5 years ago

How should I go about getting financial aid for college?

I don't want to get loans.  I want to know of any sites or things I should/could do in order to get money for college.  When I plug in my financial information it keeps saying I only apply for one type of loan which seems odd to me, but I would like to know if there are easier ways that applying for loans or going to websites like schoalrship points.  And if there are better websites that only give out scholarships, and easy to win scholarships.

2. juliecook profile image72
    juliecookposted 5 years ago

When I went back to school several years ago, I used www.fafsa.ed.gov.  I filled out a very lengthy application and found that I qualified for both grants and loans.  While I was filling out the application I found several scholarships to apply for as well.  I also used www.fastweb.com to find scholarships, but they were pretty competitive and some required a lot of work.  Hope this helps.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

FAFSA is the gateway to all programs.  Much of it has to do with asset titling.  But additionally it depends on the school.  Sometimes there is more to be obtained in grants from private schools with sizeable endowments that need to be spent.  State schools are not always the best route in terms of cost.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

The financial aid office should have a book on scholarships.  Also if you are a child of a Veteran there use to be scholarships through American Legion and other orgs. There are scholarships according to your major, the field you would be entering such as nursing.

working