14 Vicious Republican Assaults on America. Threats, Social Security and Ronald Reagan's advice. #8 and 9
How do we know who or what to follow ?
Republican assaults of America. Threats to social security, medicare, medicaid, and other social programs. Ronald Reagan on Social Security.
Parts: 8 thru 9
#8. Using threats to get what they want.
The Republicans in Washington, D.C., are threatening to shut down the government unless Democrats agree to massive cuts to everything, from N.P.R, to education, to food aid for hungry children, etc...
All the while protecting the wealthy tax cuts, and wall streets rights to continue to bleed the economy even more with their continuing excessive lavish life styles and extreme bonuses as if nothing is going on around them.
#9 Attacks on Social Security
Either House Majority Leader Eric Cantor does not understand how Social Security works or he just doesn't care.
Just hours after President Obama said that Social Security cuts and privatization are off the table, Cantor said that Social Security had to be cut to balance the budget. But here's the fact of that matter: Social Security does not, and never has, added a single dime to the federal deficit.
Let me try to explain this to Mr. Cantor, et al. Social Security is paid for through the payroll tax. Currently, the payroll tax raises way more money than Social Security pays out, and things are projected to keep going this way for another couple of decades.
Things that actually contribute to the budget deficit:
- The War in Iraq
- The War in Afghanistan
- Tax breaks for the wealthy
- Subsidies for big oil
- Bailing out wall street after they caused this problem thru their shady deals
- The free ride of religious entities - never contributing anything except to campaigns for the conservative right wing's policies
- Government grants to religious entities who simply apply for them. (set up in back room dealings by G.W.B)
- Excessive amounts paid out for Government employees (free) health insurance. They should be covered like all other public workers.
- Excessive salaries paid to Politicians. (in relation to the actual work they do - they should be paid by the hour for actual work being done, like all other public workers)
- Excessive retirement benefits paid out for politicians. They should be part of the social security system, like all other American workers. If Social Security is privatized, their retirement benefits will NOT be affected.
- To name only a few
Social Security will run a surplus for decades. The rest of the budget runs a deficit. So, why are we even talking about Social Security? Here's why: Eric Cantor and his right wing friends want to destroy this program. Privatize it, to give access to these funds to their wealthy friends. That is the only reason we are having this conversation.
But Eric Cantor's comments are not anything new. Right wing Republicans have been trying to tear down Social Security for generations. It seems to be the holy grail of the right wing.
Now Republicans are playing with fire. They are threatening to shut the government down. They are holding the debt ceiling hostage. They will do whatever it takes to put cutting Social Security on the table.
Right now, people like Mitch McConnell and Sarah Palin do not pay the same percentage of their income into Social Security that most American do. And no great surprise, neither do any of the other politicians, left or right. That is because the tax is capped at $106,800 annually. But most Americans do not know this fact. All we need to do is scrap the cap and make the payroll tax fair and equal for everyone to keep Social Security safe, stable and secure. Most Americans do not make $106,800.00 annually, so their entire annually salaries are taxed for social security. This loophole was obviously designed for the wealthy class. They only pay taxes on their first $106,800.00 earned annually - then nothing. Those with the higher incomes who are eligible for Social Security get the maximum amount per year. Does this seem fair to anyone except the wealthy?
But the cunning of the Republicans cannot be underestimated. They have found an easier way to cut Social Security - just gut the funding for the Social Security Administration (SSA) - the people who are employed to make the system work for the American people. In the wee hours of the morning on 2/19/11 the House Republicans voted to cut $1.7 billion from the SSA. The proposed cuts are so severe that the SSA could have to furlough thousands of workers for 1 month out of the 7 months remaining this budget year. The impact of these cuts for retirees, disabled workers and families will be devastating.
Here's what those cuts will do:
- Up to 400,000 people will have their applications for retirement, survivors and medicare benefits significantly delayed.
- Up to 290,000 will have their applications for disability benefits significantly delayed. Unbelievably, it already takes nearly 500 days, on average, to have a disability claim resolved.
What is worse, is that these cuts are nothing but cutting, for cutting's sake. When we say Social Security does not add a penny to the deficit, that goes for the costs that the SSA incurs making sure that workers get the benefits they earned. The money you contribute to Social Security every day you work, pays not only for your benefits, but for most of the SSA 's work keeping track of your earnings, so that you get the benefits you earned.
The Republican agenda is clear. The party wants to cut, privatize, and otherwise harm Social Security, without reason, without shame, and worse without knowing what in hell they are talking about, and with absolutely no regard for the American people.
To be continued.....
by: d.william 03/14/11
Ronald Reagan's Take on Social Security
Elizabeth Warren on Social Security
- 14 Vicious Republican Assaults on America. Parts 5, 6 and 7.
The Eye of God Nebula Parts: 5, 6 and 7, of 14 Vicious Republican Assaults on America. #5 NPR and PBS The sad part of this topic is that millions of people depend on this news service...
- 14 Vicious Republican Assaults on America. Parts 3 and 4.
Under the Eye of God Parts 3 and 4, of my list of 14 vicious attacks on America by the Republican Party. #3 Women's Rights under siege: The Top 10 shocking attacks on women by the...
- 14 Vicious Republican Assaults on America. Parts 1 and 2
Under the Eye of God Parts: 1 and 2, of 14 vicious attacks on America by the Republican Party. These are the most currently prominent 14 attacks on America by the Republican Party. They are real. ...
© 2011 d.william