Current Social Issues In America 2013: And The Sheep Shall Be Offered For Sacrifice
This will not be a lighthearted article. I do not plan on being politically correct, and I do not much care if I offend others. It is time for an old-fashioned rant, and I’m just the ranter willing and able to let it fly.
Having said that, if you prefer to blithely go about your day without a care in the world, then I suggest you stop reading right now, go turn on the television and watch another reality show.
If you stick around, then get comfortable. Kick off your shoes, grab a cold one, and prepare for a rant of epic proportions, because this writer needs to unload and clear the air.
Random Dislikes in No Particular Order
These are all unrelated, except for the fact that they are all alive and well in the United States as 2013 ends its first month. Of course, in a nation of over 300 million, there are exceptions. I’m just listing my pet peeves, no matter how many people they represent.
· I am tired of kids being lazy and wasting a large portion of their lives on the cell phone and computer. Come to think of it, I’m also tired of kids thinking that they are entitled to things. I’ve got a new alert for all children out there: you are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more! You are not entitled to a job; you are not entitled to more than minimum wage; you are not entitled to respect. Anything over and above life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness needs to be earned by you.
· I am tired of the lack of compassion and empathy in society today. There are serious issues in this country. There are millions poor and homeless; there are millions abused and in need of professional help. There are millions who are victims of rape, violence, burglary and murder. Wake up, America! What happens to the weakest of us happens to all of us.
· I am tired of the rich ruling this country. This is not a representative form of government. In order for it to be so, our representatives need to represent us, the bottom feeders of the lower 80%, and that is not happening. This is an oligarchy in its purest form, and the United States of America is ruled by 100 corporations who will continue to feed off of our carcasses long after we are dead.
· I am tired of complacency and apathy in this country. Is there anyone out there who cares? Of course, hands are going up like crazy right now. Okay, let me ask it a different way: Is there anyone who cares enough to actually walk the talk? Did you notice all the hands that dropped?
Would You like Some More Because I’m Just Getting Warmed Up?
· I am tired of the education system in this nation, or shall I say the lack of an efficient and meaningful education system. No Child Left Behind is a dismal failure, and I am still waiting to see something put in its place that is not dependent upon standardized testing as the Golden Orb of Education.
· I am tired of Social Services and Education and the Arts being cut from every single budget in every single city across America. When are we going to invest in our future, a future that should include every single citizen in this country?
· I am tired of foreign aid being sent to nations while our own citizens starve on the streets and live in cardboard jungles. This nation will never again be great until every citizen has the opportunity to succeed; hell, this nation will never again be great as long as citizens refuse to give a hand of friendship to those who need it.
· I am tired of the Veterans of this country being treated as though they no longer count. They served their time; they stood on the front lines and protected us. How about we make sure they receive the benefits that they are entitled to?
· I am tired of bigotry and prejudice, and every one of you should be tired of them too. How can we proclaim to believe in liberty and justice for all when there is still racial profiling, and when incomes vary according to race? The playing field is not level and never has been; I think that should change.
Do you like to rant on occasion?
A video rant
I’m on a Roll so Let’s Continue
· I am tired of the War on Drugs and I’m tired of communities turning their heads when gangs rule the streets after dark. Take back our communities. It begins with us. We cannot blame the government for the fact that our children are becoming drug addicts. We cannot blame the justice system for being unable to stop a problem that we caused.
· I am tired of sex trafficking and women and girls being treated like they are commodities. Sexual predators should be hunted down and eliminated from a civilized society. To shake our heads and thank God that it has not happened to one of our family members is unconscionable.
· I am tired of the rape and pillaging of our environment, all done in the name of progress. Who do you suppose calls for that progress? Who do you suppose needs a 4,000 square foot home and gasoline for two SUV’s, and who do you suppose allows oil drilling in environmentally sensitive areas?
· I am tired of special interest groups and politicians being bought and paid for. How about we push for an Amendment that will require all politicians to work for minimum wage? Their pay can be incentive-based. How long do you think it would then take them to pass meaningful legislation that would benefit the bottom 80% of society?
· I am tired of the lack of compromise in this country, from the Halls of Congress to the neighborhood bar. Nobody is completely right and few are completely wrong. How about we find some middle-ground and both agree? From gun control to taxation, no matter what the subject, there is middle ground where we can all reside, but it takes willingness.
· I am tired of greed! Nothing else needs to be written other than this one question: How much is enough?
And One Last Rant
I saved the best for last, because really, this is the common denominator of so many of our problems in the United States and most likely the rest of the world.
I am tired of people thinking that as long as their lives are okay then everything is okay everywhere else. I call it the Ostrich Syndrome, where good and decent people hide their heads in the sand, and pretend that everything is alright as long as they are not affected by the ugliness. They will continue to do that until one of their daughters is sold into slavery, or one of their sons needs benefits that will suddenly disappear, and then all hell breaks loose and life is no longer fair.
Pull your heads out and recognize that all is not well in La La Land! There are serious problems in this country and it takes serious and compassionate people to solve them. If you think you are immune from these societal cancers then you really need to reconsider. None of us are safe, and until all of us are safe our responsibility as citizens of this country is to work for the rights and freedoms and safety of every citizen.
Do not tell me that you don’t have time to get involved. Do not tell me that this isn’t your problem.
I only want to know one thing from you: H.O.W. are you going to be the instrument of change that this country needs?
Now I feel better. J I’ll return to the upbeat, inspirational stuff tomorrow. Thanks for letting me vent.
2013 William D. Holland (aka billybuc)