- Politics and Social Issues
I created this hub to help people learn the ins and outs of charity giving. It is better to give than to receive. It is also good karma. However, some charities are better than others and some are prone to fraud and abuses. An educated giver is a better giver.
Some Do's and Don'ts of giving...
- Never donate over the phone.
- Donate without making a fanfare. The Bible says when giving, one hand should not know what the other is doing.
- Give without strings attached.
- Always keep your promises. If you pledge to give, make good on that pledge ASAP.
- Always check a charity organization's history before giving.
- Sometimes, giving your time is better than giving money.
- Always follow up and keep a watchful eye on the charities you support.
- Be an example to your kids and be generous when giving to a worthy cause. Get them involved as well.
Some poor examples...
- Ted Turner announced in a press conference that he would donate $1 Biollion dollars to the UN a few years ago and later reneged on his promise when he lost his fortune of AOL stock. Ted Turner
- Donald Trump announced that he will donate a few hundred acres of land to the NY State Park system but then requested that the park be named after himself-very tacky.
- Live Aid concert in 1985 is a poor example of how fund raising and distribution was a total disaster. You can read the controversy over this on Wikipedia - Live Aid
- The 9/11 Fund was set up to help the families cope with the loss of their loved ones. Here is one example of mis guided attempt to help. Curse of 9/11 Widows
- State Lottery is a way promoted to help Education. It is not quite charity but they promote it as if it is a good way to help support public education while taking a chance on winning big.
Some examples of good works...
Links about Charity Giving...
- It is better to give than to receive.
- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
- But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. - Matthew 6:1-4
- A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. - Proverbs 11:24-25
- The love of money is the root of all evil.
- no one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank