Hooked on Soy aka my Candle Addiction
I am addicted to handpoured Vegetable Soy Wax Candle products
I'm making this page about Handcrafted Soy Candles because I have been burning candles for all of my adult life.
I didn't realize the possible danger of paraffin candles until I started researching soy or vegetable wax candles. The debate about the air quality issue is ongoing. Asthmatics have been reported to have less to no issues with Soy Wax candles depending on fragrance strength.
Another important issue is the temperature of melted wax. Paraffin is a harder wax so it requires a hotter wick to melt it to release fragrance. The temperature of paraffin can burn skin. Soy has a lower melt temperature so burning is not an issue. As a matter of fact, although I do not recommend this, some people actually use soy candles as a warm lotion.
Soy cleans up with soap and hot water. A good friend and customer literally cleaned her carpet this way after a soy candle spill. I have yet to spill a soy candle, but I have dropped a tall paraffin candle I was melting to reuse the glass, and I can tell you I was sorry it was not soy...
Be Green ~ Reuse your candle jars, or donate to your local candlemakers!
The Advantages of Soy Wax
- is non-toxic
- is completely natural
- is water soluble for easy clean up
- is from renewable resources and is recyclable
- supports the U.S. farm economy
- is clean burning
- produces less candle soot when wicks are trimmed as recommended
- is safer around children and pets due to lower melt temperature
- burns up to 50% longer than petroleum-based paraffin candles
My road to Soy Candle Addiction...
I purchased my first vegetable wax candle from a great candle maker from State of Texas I had met on iOffer where I already had a store selling new to vintage items. When I received the candle I fell in love at first sniff right out of the jar. When lit it filled my home with an amazing scent that I just wasn't getting from store purchased paraffin candles. So much so that I became a dealer and bought enough of her candles at wholesale, with the proceeds from my store, to sell at a local community garage sale.
I was hooked. Sadly she no longer produces these wonderful candles. I began to investigate making my own for my own enjoyment with the future hope of producing my own line. Since I was newly unemployed I had plenty of time.
The more I learned about the advantages of Soy Wax Candles the more I grew to appreciate the whole idea of them.
I purchased small quantities of supplies to start testing since I still had some income from my original store. Since then I have shared my addiction with friends and family, and yes, some of them have become happily addicted, too. A fun part of the venture was making candle centerpieces and favors for my daughter's wedding. My next step was to share my passion outside my inner circle so I began to play with sales packaging to become a seller. Since I already had an iOffer store I was familiar with the community and set up. Due to the high cost of shipping wax filled glass jars I seem to mostly sell locally, so I have begun to test other types of home fragrances, such as tarts (aka melts), tealights, votives, and pillars.
That is where I am now wandering contently on the road to my addiction... :)
My 5 best tips for staying healthy
This is also another passion of mine.
My 5 best tips for staying healthy, and for Mother Earth's health too, are...
- Know what you are Eating
- Know what you are Breathing in your own home
- Recycle, Reuse or Re-purpose, and Reduce
- Support U.S. Farmers by purchasing American Grown products (like soy)
- and lastly... Live Happy, Have Fun and Laugh often
Soy Candles vs. Paraffin Candles?
Let's hear your choice and give us a good debate!
What is is your favorite and why?
Have you had any issues with either type?
Soy vs. Paraffin Candles
My Soy vs. Paraffin Point of View - Yea, I'm for SOY - Can I convince you, too?
- Soy candles produce less soot.
- Soy candles last up to 2 times longer
- than paraffin products.
- Soy Wax has so increased in popularity
- that the price of Soy Wax has nearly doubled in the last 2 years. Because of this beware of soy blends and store bought soy candles. They may contain a soy/paraffin blend.
- Look for candles made with 100% Soy wax, or labeled as Vegan
- which is made with soy and/or palm, or a blend of vegetable waxes.
- Soy Wax Candles support the U.S. Farming community, not to mention the American Chandlers (aka Candle makers)
- who produce the healthiest candles for our families, homes, valued customers, and the environment, too!
- You think Handcrafted candles may be hard to find?
- I bet there are at least 1 or more Soy Candle Makers in your area. Most of us are connected to the internet community, so just do a search for soy candle makers or hand crafted soy candles in your immediate area
- (see next article below for directories).
- Still can't find one? Try for your next nearest town or metro area. I'm sure you find someone who will ship to you, if not deliver... :)
Find Soy Candle Makers in your area
Craft Site Directory This is a open list. You will have to go through the pages shown.
dmoz.org soy candle search This is an open directory so you may have to choose your appropriate subdirectories such as Shopping: Home and Garden: Accessories: Candles or Business: Consumer Goods and Services: Home and Garden: Decor and Design: Candles.
Kijiji Free Classifieds This is mine http://rochesterny.kijiji.com/ & Search for Soy Candle
Craigs List Free Classifieds This is mine http://rochester.craigslist.org/ & search for Soy Candle
Craft Site Directory Enter your zipcode in Location field. I also suggest using "Refine your search" Box on left hand side to widen your search area.
Wick dippers - The only way to put out a candle without smoking!
Soy Candle Gotta Know Poll
Please share you favorite Fragrance Type.
My favorites are anything Vanilla and Sugar Cookie & Creme Brulee. OK, I guess that means Bakery Scents. :)
2- What's you favorite Candle Fragragrance Type?
See my Soy Candles on iOffer
Sorry to say I have only been making candles for my own use. Maybe again some day. :)