Identifying And Avoiding A Rapist
Recently an informal student of mine closely escaped being raped in broad daylight at a desolated spot in Manchester. The seventeen year old girl had travelled on the train and had noticed a young man in his early twenties constantly staring at her. When she disembarked she did not notice being followed. She realized that fact when it was already too late as he pinned her to a wall and forced a kiss and aggressively attempted to manipulate her clothes. Fortunately a group of college students came in that direction which made him flee the scene.
She was fortunate but there are others who are not as fortunate. They go through an agonizing experience which leave a very negative imprint on their minds for the rest of their lives which keeps haunting them and destroy their other relations.
There is a school of thought which believes that every man is a potential rapist. Well! Let us not accuse every man of being anti social and immoral. But the fact is rapists roam around in every size, age, shape and color. He may be sitting in the same row in the class room or the movie theater without your realizing and may be scheming to violate you later in the evening. He may be in the queue waiting patiently to be attended. Or he may be the guy who quietly cleans the corridor when you walk through with your friends talking happily.
Types Of Rapists
The worst part is that a rapist can be a known person or a complete stranger. The first type can be very dangerous as they are the most unexpected of them all. They come when only they could have been the saviors but instead they choose to be the culprits. They can be a friend, a neighbor or in the worst cases a brother or a father.
The strangers are though very difficult to recognize but they can be anywhere and can spring out at any time without your being warned.
Identifying A Rapist
To identify a rapist the most important thing is to identify the motive. Rape is the ultimate violent method to prove ones point against an innocent unsuspecting and vulnerable female. In most of the case, the rapist is a person who has had a lot of social problems and is full of anger and hatred. He is usually a victim of abuse by others in his childhood and finds it to be an easy way to take out his frustration.
Though it is very difficult to say but in most cases culprits of date rapes and incest rapes have no solid profile to follow. Usually a few indictors such as heavy drinking (may be occasionally) or sudden out bursts of anger are common indicators.
Psychologists say that people who indulge in self pity often and linger on to their anger may attempt to rape a known person.
It is not necessary that a stranger with a big scar on his cheek is going to attempt a rape. As I mentioned earlier it can be anyone in appearance but the attitude plays a key role.
Habitual rapists keep changing their modus oprandi, recently some abduction cases have been reported in which a harmless looking middle aged man kidnapped his victims by asking for help around groceries stores and the unsuspecting lady ended up brutally raped and in a few cases, even murdered.
Avoiding A Rape
The best method avoid rape is to avoid the rapist. According to the police and criminal psychologists, sex offenders are usually introverts who operate in isolation and usually avoid crowded places for making any attempts.
- The best you can do is never venture alone in an unfamiliar area, especially after dark.
- If you have to go through an isolated patch alone, try to avoid it or wait for a while for some people going in that direction.
- Carry a mace can or a stun gun in your hand; this might be a life saver for you.
- If you are alone at home and find someone lurking around your house. “DON”T” act brave, just call the police.
- Never answer the doorbell if you are alone and not sure who is at the door.
- If you find your telephone disconnected the best burglar alarm is your car’s alarm. Lock yourself in and activate your cars security. This will get somebody’s attention in the neighborhood and chances are that the prowler will quickly make an exit to avoid any confrontation or get spotted if he remains around.
- In case of a date rape or incest rape, where the rapist is already in close proximity, best is to kick hard in the groin, this will get you sufficient time to make your way out of your house or to get out of the car to a nearest public place.
- If you find yourself trapped at an isolated spot with a rapist scream as loud as you can before he grabs you. This usually triggers panic and also attracts attention of people in the surroundings.
Rapes have a very long lasting psychological impact on a woman of any age. This can actually destroy her confidence and trust in males and views every man as a potential rapist. The responsibility of making the surroundings safe for women lies with the society, but it is also necessary to prevent such a happening from occurring by making yourself safe!