God Bless the USA and Our Children
American Stars And Stripes
America is the greatest country on earth. For generations, there has been no question about that. But where is our country headed in these rough uncertain times? This is not a political article because each of us have our own opinions about how the country should be run and there is no right or wrong answer. But the one thing we should all agree on it that it is "Our Country, Yours and Mine." It does not belong to the rich or the poor or a small minority of elected officials. We should also agree that we all love our country, want it to be the greatest on earth again and will work with everything we have to make that happen.
With all that in mind, let me remind everyone of what John F. Kennedy once said: "Ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country?"
What Can We Do You Ask
What can I do for my country you may be asking? Well, let me count the many ways that we can make a difference in our lives, communities and our entire nation. Too many of us, and I am one of the worst, sit back and do nothing but complain about how bad things are instead of looking at helping the neighbor down the street who may be sick or lost their job, or the struggles of a single parent.
But today, I vow to start to change my attitude, stop complaining and do something positive to change my life and maybe make someone else's life a bit better. I hope that by writing this article and maybe some of you will read it and make the same decision to help improve the life of another.
Children Are Our Future
Children are our most precious resource in America and we are failing them so badly. There are so many ways that we can help to change and mold a child's live for the better. When we can bring change to our children's way of life we will begin to see our country change. But someone needs to begin to teach our children values, morals and what family means again. Way too many children in America go hungry or homeless or just roam the streets. We never thought we would see hungry children in America, did we? As a young child I was told to eat everything on my plate because children in other countries went hungry. Now it is here in America that children are hungry. There are many ways that each of us can help to make sure American children do not go hungry. One good way is to donate time or money to local food banks. Help families in your community that have young children but are struggling to feed them. Try to become more aware of the needs of people in your community and lend a helping hand. There may come a time in your life you will be the one needing help from others.
Helping Foster Children
How You Can Help Children
There are many ways to help and influence children in a positive way. This list is just a few ideas of how your help is needed.
- So many children are just lost in the system. Fostering children and adopting older children is a wonderful, rewarding experience but only if you truly love and care for children.
- Big Brother and Big Sister programs
- Afterschool care and tutoring children
- Help out a struggling single parent: There are many ways of helping the single parent which also helps their children
- Offer to take the neighborhood children to church if the parents agree: When I was young, neighbors always offered to take us to church with them
- Coach a kids sports, teach them music or arts and crafts: Whatever their interest, try to encourage it
- Help children in America first, then other countries.
- Involve your own children in volunteering
Hoping For A Real Family
Communities also need assistance in a lot of different ways with a lot depending upon the size of your community. But no matter how big or small, there are many ways of helping your community.
- Libraries often need assistance and donations. Some offer tutoring you may help with
- Food banks can always use volunteers and donations
- Give a helping hand at the homeless shelter
- The elderly often have needs that are not being met. Some may need help with minor repairs around their homes, or just a little help with grocery shopping or driving them to appointments
- Fire companies, EMT and Ambulance services often need help with fund raising
- Churches often help the community and need more volunteers
- Give blood at the local blood bank
- Share your knowledge with others whether it is teaching others how to balance a budget, their checkbook, or teaching cooking lessons for young mothers
- Help with building, cleaning and maintaining parks for our children
- Special Needs adults are often overlooked and cast aside. Befriend one and it will make a difference in both of your lives
Lee Greenwood: God Bless The USA
Will You Help
Did you find any ideas that might encourage you to help?
Education And Our Children
What I would like to see is not going to happen. I know this but I can't help but think of how are public schools are failing so many of our children. I know there are many students who go to school with no problems and do great. But what about the children who attend a crowded school and are very bright but the school system just doesn't seem to work for them for whatever reason? I would love to see small private schools being opened in our community buildings or perhaps our churches that could give these children the time and attention that might just make the biggest difference in their lives. I know, it is just a dream.
This is our country, yours and mine. Let's all try to get out of our comfort zones and do something to bring about some positive change. Can you imagine what a difference we could all make by reaching out to help those in need. That is what our country was founded on helping each other, while educating our future generations to pass the torch of freedom to each new generation.