- Politics and Social Issues»
- Asia Political & Social Issues
Jojo Binay - Philippine Elections 2016 Presidential Candidate
Jojo Binay, whose real name is Jejomar "Jojo" Cabauatan Binay, Sr., is the current Vice President of the Philippines and Chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC). Jojo Binay is well known for being the longest serving mayor of Makati City, the Philippines' financial capital. He is also known as a human rights lawyer who gave free legal assistance to the abused during the term of Philippine President Ferdinand E. Marcos.
Jojo Binay was born on November 11, 1942 in the district of Paco, City of Manila. He was the only surviving child of the couple Diego Medrano Binay and Lourdes Gatan Cabauatan. He was raised by his uncle Ponciano Binay when he was orphaned at the age of nine (9).
Binay studied at the Philippine Normal College Training Department for his elementary education, and attended the University of the Philippines Preparatory School for his high school education. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree, major in Political Science, his Bachelor of Laws degree, and his Master's degree in Public Administration at the University of the Philippines. He also took a Master's degree in Law at the University of Santo Tomas.
He passed the Philippine Bar Examination in 1968.
Binay Family, Political Dynasty of Makati
Members of the Binay family political dynasty includes the the couple Jojo Binay and Elenita Binay and three of their children, Maria Lourdes, Mar-Len Abigail, and Jejomar Erwin.
- Jejomar "Jojo" Binay - Vice President of the Philippines (2010–present) and former Mayor of Makati
- Elenita Binay - former Mayor of Makati (1998-2001)
- Maria Lourdes "Nancy" Binay - Senator of the Philippines (2013–present)
- Mar-Len Abigail "Abby" Binay - Congresswoman, Second District of Makati (2007–present)
- Jejomar Erwin "Junjun" Binay, Jr. - Mayor of Makati (2010–present)
Mayor of Makati
Jojo Binay was Makati mayor for twelve (12) years from 1986 to 1998. In 1986, he was appointed as Makati mayor as a replacement for the incumbent Mayor Nemesio I. Yabut, who died while in office. He was elected in the following mayoral election of 1988. After serving six (6) years as Makati mayor, he was re-elected for another three-year term in 1992 and re-elected again in 1995 for another three-year term.
In 1998, Jojo Binay, having served three consecutive terms in office as mayor of Makati and therefore constitutionaly barred from seeking another term of office as Makati mayor, let his wife Elenita Binay to run for the mayoralty race. Elenita Binay won and succeeded him as mayor of Makati.
Jojo Binay regained the mayoralty post and served as Makati mayor from 2001 to 2010. In 2001 mayoralty race, he beat Edu Manzano, his former vice mayor and famous actor and TV host, by a wide margin. In 2004 elections, he won again by a wide margin against Makati district councilor Oscar Ibay. Finally in 2007, he beat the popular actor and Senator of the Philippines Lito Lapid with a landslide victory, thereby winning his third and final term during this period.
Jojo Binay was elected as Vice President of the Philippines in 2010. On his 66th birthday on November 11,1988, he announced that he was running for the presidency. His presidential bid did not materialize as he later gave way to his partymate, former Philippine president Joseph Estrada, as their party's standard bearer. He settled for the vice presidency and became Joseph Estrada's running mate.
Jojo Binay beat his closest rival Mar Roxas by a small margin, 727,084 votes, or about 2.86% margin. Mar Roxas filed an election protest before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal of the Supreme Court in July 2010 alleging that the election results contain anomalously high incidence of null and misread votes. The case is still pending today (September 14, 2014) before the Supreme Court.
Jojo Binay took his oath of office as Vice President on June 30, 2010. As of this writing, he is the incumbent Vice President of the Philippines.
Jojo Binay along with his vice mayor, Ernesto Mercado, and the whole City Council was issued a suspension order in 2006 on the accusation of ghost employees on the city's payroll.
On July 22, 2014, Renato L. Bondal and Nicolas "Ching" Enciso VI filed before the Office of the Ombudsman a complaint accusing Jojo Binay of violating the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act in relation to the Anti-Plunder Law. The complainants alleged that the multi-million-peso New Makati City Parking Building project by Binay that would have amounted to only P245.56 million was overpriced by more than P1.314 billion.
The Life of VP Jejomar Binay
News Update on Jejomar "Jojo" Binay
- Plunder case filed vs VP Binay, Makati officials. MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Vice President Jejomar Binay has been accused of plunder in relation to an over-priced multi-million-peso New Makati City Parking building contract.
- Ex-Makati vice mayor says he got P80-M kickback in Makati building project. MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATE3, 6:43PM) After accusing Vice President Jejomar Binay of corruption, former vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado on Thursday told a Senate inquiry panel that he himself received P80 million out of an allegedly promised P120-million share of proceeds from the construction of Makati City Building 2.
Will Jojo Binay become the 16th President of the Philippines?
- Philippine Elections 2016 - The Presidential Candida...
The Philippine presidential elections will be held on Monday, May 9, 2016 to elect the 16th President of the Philippines and here is the list of possible presidential candidates.
- Mar Roxas - Philippine Elections 2016 Presidentiable
Mar Roxas is one of the many presidentiables in the coming Philippine presidential election 2016 which will be held on May 9, 2016.
- Philippine Elections 2010 - The Presidential Candida...
This is a listing of the possible candidates for the coming Philippine Elections 2010 which will be held on May. Includes pictures of the most likely presidential candidates.