- Politics and Social Issues»
- Environment & Green Issues»
- Disasters & Recovery
Preparedness Guide to the 2012 World Ending
The End is Near, Again, and Again
2012 marks the end of the Mayan calendar. According to Mayan legend, the world as we know it will come to an end sometime this year. We've had a good run but like all good things, they must come to an end. So what does one pack to take with them to the end of the world? Included in this guide are a brief list of items that should be included so you won't have to rush around at the last minute should the world end with the Mayan Calendar or another astronomical, meterlogical or special celestial event.
The End Of The World Essentials
1. Matches, lighter, or flint and steel firestarter. These are must have items in the event of a world ending. Without them you won't be able to start any fires or cook your dinner.
2. Multi-tool. One of the most important items in any survival kit. Try to purchase a good quality multi-tool that includes knife blades, screwdrivers, saw, scissors, can opener, and of course pliers. Leatherman and Gerber each make several different models of multi-tools for any post apocalyptic situation.
3. Hammer/ Axe. Both items can be used to drive nails and start building a new world order. The axe however can also be used to chop down any remaining trees which may be blocking your view of the world's ending. Be sure to recycle those trees into firewood.
4. Water bottle. This will be necessary to contain your future water supply. Most adults can consume at least 2 litres (1/2 a gallon) of water on a hot day so try to purchase a bottle with this in mind.
5. Food rations. Nourishment will be necessary in the next world. Be sure to have at least a month's supply of non-perishable food on hand. Items such as canned chili contain enough protein, vegetables and carbohydrates to keep you going for quite a while. Having some canned vegetables and fruit on hand will also help to balance out your diet. Be sure to pack a can-opener if your multi-tool is not equipped with one. Finding out after the apocalypse has already started that you forgot to pack the can-opener will be too late. Food sources such as beef jerky, dried foods, and some say pre-packaged Twinkies are all good to have on hand as well.
Clothing, Directions, and Shelter
6. Hat, sunglasses, work gloves, and hiking boots are all important items to have with you. It may be a while before you can settle down again after the world ends, so be prepared to travel around. The hat and sunglasses will keep the sun off, and the boots will keep your feet comfortable as you search out your new place to call home. The gloves will of course keep your hands warm in the winter and protect your fingers during re-construction efforts.
7. First Aid kit. Pack the kit with all the bandages, gauze, anti-septic, tape, burn ointments and aspirins you will need, and then add some extras for neeighbours and the kids.
8. Submarine. If the world ends above you, then why not live under it? If for some reason the oceans dry up too, then beach the sub somewhere and you will have yourself a very sturdy shelter - with a water front view.
9. Map of the former world and region. It may be helpful to know where things were just in case you forget something and have to go back for it. Pack a directional compass along with a pencil and notebook to write down directions. Handheld GPS units are great if the satellites are still functioning.
10. Cash or gold. In the event that you are not the last person on Earth it may be necessary to buy something. Don't expect too many places to accept credit cards.
And Don't Forget...
11. Alcohol. If you are the only person left on the planet who has booze or at least knows how to make it, well... let's just say "Hail to The New King!"
12. Holy Bible, Koran, Torah, etc. Just in case your religion doesn't come out on top it, will be helpful to know some of the new traditions. Many people will likely want to pray as the world ends so it never hurts to have a few words ready.
13. Cigarettes. Even if you don't smoke now, you may want to start after the world ends. Once again, if you are the only person who has any smokes left, well please see item #11. Some people may prefer chocolate to smokes so feel free to substitute here.
14.Walkie-talkies or a CB radio. In the event someone else has one too, it may be nice to chat every once in a while. A book or a couple magazines to flip through might be nice to have as well.
15. Shotgun with extra ammo. They always have them in zombie movies so it can't hurt to have one now either. Be sure to pack any necessary licenses and registrations you may require. Having some extra gasoline and a car ready wouldn't hurt either.
Nobody can completely prepare for a disaster, but having the basics ready could make the difference between watching the world end and being a part of it. Keep everything handy in a backpack along with passports and identification so when the excitement starts you'll be ready!