Social Media: Problems and Solutions
Freedom of speech and expression is an important aspect of democracy. No one would have even imagined the opportunities given to citizens by social media to use this right a decade ago. Actually, through this platform, changes in the society can be brought. However, it is a matter of concern that social media is currently in the news for its criticisms. Actually, the role of social media has been to spoil social harmony and promote thinking that divides society instead of positive thinking.
In this article, social media, its positive and negative effects, social media and balance of right to privacy and regulation of social media will be discussed in detail.
Social media means
- Social networking sites are an integral part of today's Internet that is used by more than one billion people in the world. It is an online platform that allows the user to create a public profile and interact with other users on the website.
- Profiles are used to share your thoughts, talk to people of identity or strangers. Example - Facebook, Twitter etc. In this whole process, personal information of the user available on the website is also shared.
- The entire process is based on information technology, where different types of software are used. The multifarious modes of use and technical dependence have made 'social network sites' vulnerable to various types of hazards.
Positive effects of social media
- Social media is an important means of connecting with people around the world and it has given a new dimension to communication in the world.
- Social media can become the voice of those who are different from the mainstream of society and whose voice has been suppressed.
- Currently social media is working as a good means of business for many businessmen.
- Along with social media, many types of jobs have also been born.
- Presently, social media is being used on a very wide scale to spread awareness among the common citizens.
- Many researches have revealed that most of the people around the world get daily information through social media.
Negative effects of social media
- Many researches suggest that if one uses social media more than necessary, it can negatively affect our brain and lead us to depression.
- Social media promotes cyber-bullying.
- It plays an important role in spreading fake news and hate speech.
- There is a lack of privacy on social media and sometimes your personal data is at risk of being stolen.
- The risk of cyber crimes like hacking and phishing etc. also increases.
- Nowadays the trend of cheating through social media has also increased greatly, these people look for social media users who can be easily trapped.
- Excessive use of social media can affect our physical and mental health in a big way.
Social media abuse
- Many objectionable materials were reported on various sites including Facebook, Twitter later on these materials were removed.
- It is noteworthy that most of these material was in violation of laws prohibiting the insult of religious sentiments and national symbols. The large number of objectionable content found in this short term shows how much social media is being misused.
- On the other hand, historical facts are also being manipulated through social media. Not only is the attempt to present historical events in a different way, but wrong information about the leaders who are the leaders of independence is being shared on a large scale.
- According to the report of the World Economic Forum, the spread of misinformation via social media is one of the major emerging risks in the world.
- Of course, this is not only a hindrance in the country's progress, but it can also have dangerous consequences in the future. Therefore, it is necessary that the government of the country should seriously consider this subject and try to stop it completely.
Social media and privacy issue
- Privacy protection is a subject of data protection because when a person uses the Internet medium through a digital identity, during that time a collection of different data is created so that the user's personal data can be easily obtained.
- Therefore, an important challenge in the design of the data protection framework is to preserve long-term records using digitization and at the same time maintain confidentiality.
Social media has given a new dimension to the right to freedom of expression, today everyone can express their views and reach thousands of people through social media without any fear, but the misuse of social media has made it a dangerous tool As well, the need for its regulation is constantly being felt.