The Girls Guide to the AIR FORCE. The reasons why we join.
The Beginning - how the decision is made to join the Air Force
We each have our own reasons for joining the military. For some, the decision was easy and you knew at a young age that this was the lifestyle for you.
For others, the desire to join the Air Force (or other military branch) came later in life. Usually, the desire to join is so powerful that those around you are shocked with the news, and feel a bit let down by your sudden life-changing decision.
So why do we join? Here are the top reasons:
- Education Benefits
- The chance to start over, get away from boyfriends/girlfriends and toxic people in your life
- Learn a new skill
- You were told to do so by your parents and didn't realize you had a choice
- Get away from your parents
- Meet new friends
- Go to war (popular choice for younger men who love to play war-type video games)
- Learn to fly airplanes
- You feel trapped and believe you have no other option
- You don't want to go to college and minimum wage jobs aren't paying the bills
Whatever the reason, the choice is yours to make. If you are contemplating joining the Air Force - what is your reason? If you have already joined - what prompted you to make the life altering decision and serve your country?
Here's my reason: I joined the Air Force when I was 20 years old. I was living alone in a 1 bedroom apartment, and could barely pay the bills on my own (even though I was working two jobs). I wanted to go to college, but my parents kept claiming me on their income taxes as a dependent, so I was ineligible for college tuition assistance. Taking an honest look at my young life, I felt STUCK and I knew that that if I continued on the same way I would be forever living paycheck-to-paycheck. ---- Not a very patriotic answer, but a truthful one made at a young naïve age. To this day, joining the Air Force has been the BEST decision I have ever made.