- Politics and Social Issues»
The Non-sense of Indian Traffic
Indian Traffic Problem - Its time to wake up!!
Well I was thinking to write on this topic from a long time, but as I am driving often in pune, Its high time to highlight this issue.I used to drive in a rather small city Bokaro where we have traffic for namesake only as there are less population and less vehicles.
But back in Pune driving is like the most difficult task you get thru everyday.This probably is a problem for every metro city where population grows from around India because of more job opportunity.Well by this hub I tried to mentioned the pain people are going thru because of this traffic and some tips or etiquette we should follow to avoid this traffic.
Well on an average I loose 90 minutes everyday to travel from home to office.You will surprise to know that the distance from my home to office is exactly 7 km.As IT industry recovered from slow down companies started hiring more people, but nobody thought about traffic issues.As more people joined companies has to either increase transportation or employee will use their own vehicles.In both cases it will increase pressure on traffic.
As rainy season started more and more people using their car to travel, making it a choke in the traffic.From morning 8:00 to 10:00, traffic came to standstill at least for 3-4 km.It is resulting in losing utilization of employee and also creating more frustration in everybody behavior.
Some companies like Infosys started campaign against bad condition of road and facility at Hinjewadi, but will government listen?They (Maharstra Govt) must be getting good revenue out of IT companies and it also provides jobs to many.But they are not doing much, from last 6 years the road and infrastructure is same at Hinjewadi but no of vehicles increased resulting in making it almost impossible to use your own transportation.The point which I forgot to mention is the government transportation is not very good in pune, so you have to either depend on your own vehicle or company bus.Strange is waiting time in both of the medium is same.
We can't do much but at least by following some traffic etiquette we can reduce it. Here are some from my experience:
- Think about others first before you - Don't do something in traffic which you don't want to be happen with you.I seen various instances where people turn without any indicators.just think how you will react if somebody else will do that with you.It can result in accident.
- Follow traffic rules - This is basic rule people never follow nowadays.You can be hurry but others too.Just imagine what happen if everybody start doing so, It will result in complete chaos.I noticed several time that if there will be no traffic signal, people hardly follow traffic police.They crossed road at will.Please don't do it
- Never stops your vehicle in traffic - I seen many a times that people stops their vehicle in between the roads,sometimes they ask address, sometime, In car it happens so often that owner because of bad roads they drive very slowly(of course they try to save their car as much as they can) resulting in crawling of traffic.Think before everybody you do it, other are waiting because of you.
- Raise your voice - There are many way you can protest, a peaceful rally, a march etc, to attract attention of common man.Do your bit
- Never be in hurry - This is a usual problem I seen in It guys.Once they will be out of office, they will be in a rush to reach home.It happened with me often a guy heat my leg by his foot ( they don't even bother to say sorry) , or they heat your bike brom bck.This can be only result in accident so please avoid it.
- Be Patient - Never loose your temper in the traffic, there may be situation where you had a fight with your boss and you going home.Never fight with anyone, it will only result in delay and choke in traffic.keep calm.
The day is not far when we will not even an inch on road for any new vehicle and people have to wait hours to reach office..Remember If it is a traffic, its a problem for us the common man and not for politician.They can switch on their red light and can cross the traffic.We have to fight with it and find a solution.If not much at least we can follow traffic rules and awake the govt to do our bit.