Tilford Response to NRA Candidate Survey
Response to National Rifle Association 2012 Candidate Survey
John W. Tilford
5561 Earl Young Road
Bloomington, Indiana 47408-9360
3 March 2012
National Rifle Association of America
Political Victory Fund
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
RE: TILFORD, John W.; U.S. House Candidate Questionnaire
To Whom It May Concern:
I am returning the referenced NRA questionnaire in order to avoid a “did not respond” comment regarding my candidacy for the United States House of Representatives, Indiana 9th District. Although most of my answers are pro-Second Amendment rights1, please do not interpret this response as endorsement of the National Rifle Association.
One of the two United States Military Academy graduates who served under my command in 2003:
- was Airborne and Ranger qualified,
- was promoted to Major while assigned to my 3421st Military Intelligence Detachment,
- volunteered for service in Iraq,
- initiated the current Department of Defense counter-IED program,
- was a single parent while mobilized after the unfortunate death of his wife,
- AND his civilian position was field agent for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
I never considered him a “jack-booted government thug”. He was, and remains, one of the finest individuals and most honorable law enforcement officers I have ever met.
John W. Tilford
Colonel, Military Intelligence, United States Army Reserve (Retired) GWOT 2001-2004
Corporal, United States Marine Corps Vietnam 1967-1969
Former Monroe County Veterans Service Officer
Founder and President, Hoosier Honor Flight, Inc. We fly WWII veterans to Washington, DC to see their national WWII Memorial.
1 I now own two firearms and have enjoyed firing every military small arm from M-1, through my M-14 used in Vietnam, M-16A1 and A2, M-3 “grease gun”, M-60, M-249 and M-2 machine guns, M1911A1 and M9 pistols, M-79 grenade launcher – but you get the idea from this incomplete list.