How To Support Local Charities When You Don't Have Money To Give
Local charities need your help now more than ever.
During uncertain economic times such as these, charities are struggling to help entire communities in need, with a fraction of the funding they require.
Did you know that many charities have wish-lists (like this one here) of much-needed goods and services (including volunteers)? Check them out, and help them out!
For more information on donating and to find a charity near you, visit CharityNavigator.org.
Sample of a Pet Shelter Wish List
They Say "One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure"...
And they're right!
Communities rely on charitable programs to help people through hard times; and those non-profits rely on you!
So, don't be so fast to toss things like old linens, newspapers, cleaning or office supplies, and those clothes you haven't worn in years in the trash; donate them.
Your good deed is a boost for yourself, for the earth, and for your community.
3 Places That Will Always Welcome Your New or Used Stuff
Animal Shelters, Homeless Shelters, and Soup Kitchens & Food Pantries Rely on Your Generous Donations!
1) Animal shelters can always use:
- old towels
- blankets and other linens
- hand sanitizer
- paper towels
- dog and cat food and supplies
2) Homeless shelters are always in need of
- season appropriate clothing, socks, underwear
- feminine hygiene products
- gloves, scarfs, hats,
- sweaters and jackets (in the winter months)
3) Food pantries welcome non-perishable food
- toiletries (such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, toilet paper and more are often given away…when they’re available
- pasta & pasta sauce
- mac n cheese
- cereal & oatmeal
- mashed potatoes (flakes, in box)
Donate Your Time or Talents!
For just a few hours a week you could:
- Help stock shelves in a food pantry
- Sort through donations at a thrift store
- Walk and give companionship to pets in a shelter
- Assist with data entry or mailing lists
- Offer to help raise funds by telephone
- Keep an elderly person company for an hour.
Other Easy Ways to Donate
SUPERMARKET & DRUGSTORE SPECIALS
- When you see buy 1 get 1 free offers, purchase and donate the extra one.
- Have a coupon for a free item? Pick it up and donate it. In fact, donate the coupons you don’t use to a charity as well!
- Dollar Store & Clearance items are sometimes a great way to pick up donations. Often toiletries, paper plates, disposable cups and other household items are sold at discounts too low to pass up! If you don’t need to stock up on a clearance item yourself, invest a few dollars and donate it.
One last thing...
Please don't donate dirty, broken or otherwise unusable items. Make sure clothing is for the right season and food items are not expired.