- Politics and Social Issues»
Youth Encounter - a Parish Youth Group that empowers Teenagers throughout the year
Selected Scenes from the Senakulo 2011Click thumbnail to view full-size
My congratulations to the YEiers (pronounced as Why-e-yirs) that invited me to watch their stage play last Holy Thursday (April 21, 2011) at the auditiorium of our barrio. Summer is more meaningful to these selected youths as they rediscover on how strengthen their faith through various activities based from the teachings of the Holy Bible.
Teenagers, ranging from 13 and above, can be part of the following activities that are encouraged by the Youth Ministry of the Catholic denomination of Christian faith.
b. Parish Renewal Experience (PREx)
c. Church Choir
d. Community Involvement
e. Stage Plays
- Recollection is a retreat, part of school activities as the school year ends, with the graduating classes as the main participants. Parents can also help realize this activities by speaking on topics that delve on parents-children relationship and how it can be strengthen through religious activities.
- Parish Renewal Experience is usually a weekly retreat renewing our ties with the Lord through Jesus Christ. I've been through this and the experience was unforgettable and overwhelming. You will be humbled in due time and realize that those tangible things we acquire here in Earth are not enough to save us from sins. Participants are of all ages, ranging from teenagers up to senior citizens. From Day 1 up to the last day of the activity; the reading of palancas (or messages) and all, you'll never forget that rich or poor, it is all equals in the Lord's perception because we, believers are all His children.
- Church Choir, most of the participants are the youth, knowing and memorizing the church hymns by heart; starting from the exaltation, the Amens and all.
- Community Involvement is just like running errands for our parents. Prayer petitions are collected by the youth and will be inserted on the celebration of the Holy Mass. Other activities are: tree planting, feeding program, distribution of free medicines and used-clothing. Children are also encouraged by their elder sisters and brothers to participate in church activities during Holy Week and regular Sunday masses.
- Stage Plays-YE (Youth Encounter) participants wholeheartedly dedicated their spare times this summer as they staged series of presentation SENAKULO or Passion of Christ (the last remaining days of Jesus from Palm Sunday until His Crucifixion at the Cross). The youth participants from my place were able to relive the characters from the Bible as parents and children as well were moved for the first time on how the local youth can empower them in just one night and leave a lasting memory of what the Bible says regarding our salvation.
Senakulo 2011 (Music: Shine Jesus Shine) c/o MrMusicman1971
The YE members succeeded in staging the play as their religious summer break and will continue again after their school year next year. Their teachers who are still single are the ones coordinating the series of activities with the help of the council and pastoral members of each barangay that they visited.